PDA

View Full Version : Books

Cain
12-29-2003, 12:10 PM
I plan on buying some car restoration books with some of my Christmas money. Please give me your opinions on the two books listed below. If you have other book suggestions regarding TR6 restoration and/or auto painting, please let me know.

1. "How to Restore Triumph TR5/250 & TR6" by Roger Williams
2. "Automotive Paint Handbook" by John Pfanstiehl

Thanks

kindofblue
12-29-2003, 10:39 PM
Cain,
I can vouch for Roger Williams restoration guide. It was under my Christmas tree this year. I had previously been advised on this board to get the Bentley TR250/6 workshop manual, which I did get. However I found workshop manuals to be a bit dry, handy for hands on.
The Williams book is pleasurable in its own right. I worked on my car a bit this weekend and used his detailed info on analyzing your chassis to see how my frame was. He explains restoration with an eye toward originality as well as basic improvements that we have learned in 30 years time. I did pick up an occasional mistake, and the B&W photo quality isnt that great. Its already proved its value in one days work!
They make a great combination for working on the car. (restoration guide and shop manual). I felt much more comfortable with these two next to me yesterday than I have before around my TR.

Rob DeScherer
12-29-2003, 11:22 PM
The Bentley shop manual is a must. I would also pick up the Haynes Weber and Z-S carb manual, if you are planning to do any fuel system work. I found the Williams book to be a good informational read, but I felt that is was good if you were building a concours car.

Cain
12-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Sounds like I definitely need to get the Williams book. (I did forget to mention that the one TR6 book I do own is the Bentley manual.)

Any comments on a good book for beginning body work and painting?

Zer
12-30-2003, 01:13 PM
Any ideas on a good Spitfire book???? Mine is a 1975. Thanks for any info. Zer images/icons/confused.gif

78Z
12-30-2003, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Zer:
Any ideas on a good Spitfire book???? Mine is a 1975. Thanks for any info. Zer images/icons/confused.gif <hr></blockquote>

try http://members.shaw.ca/spitfire1500/books.html images/icons/grin.gif

Not listed on there is the Bentley manual but absolute best book I've found so far. I bought mine off eBay and cost a fair bit but worth every penny. The Haynes book (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1850100225/daves1974triu-20/702-7507162-4129615) is ok but don't use any of the wiring diagrams (use the ones off of triumphspitfire.com) - better to save for Bentley unless this one is cheap. I also bought the Triumph, Spitfire, Gt6, Vitesse & Herald Restoration Manual (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859608671/daves1974triu-20/702-7507162-4129615) - I've haven't used it a whole lot yet but its seems alright but too much Herald and a little sparse on 1500s. But it is relatively cheap from Amazon.ca.

12-31-2003, 12:04 AM
Cain,
Dan Masters put out a spiral-bound book on electrical problems associated with the TR6. Also included are the most accurate wiring diagrams for each year, with every little glitch that was peculiar to the 6. I have used it extensively. Catch him at &lt;danmas@aol.com&gt;.

Bill

Zer
12-31-2003, 04:09 AM
Just bought one on the internet, Hope to see it within a few days----Holiday and all, graemlins/cheers.gif Zer

kindofblue
01-04-2004, 02:09 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dr. Bill:
Cain,
Dan Masters put out a spiral-bound book on electrical problems associated with the TR6. Also included are the most accurate wiring diagrams for each year, with every little glitch that was peculiar to the 6. I have used it extensively. Catch him at &lt;danmas@aol.com&gt;.

Bill<hr></blockquote>

Does he make one for the 250? The diagrams in the Bentley manual are, um, "quaint".

01-04-2004, 02:24 PM
As a matter of fact, the manuel specifically addresses Electrical Maintenance Problems for both the 250 and all 6's. I paid him $30.00 for the manuel but it is worth much more. Included are wiring diagrams for each year (all correct), problem solving and repairs of all electrical components (switchs, etc., etc.) and a complete and thorough understanding of anything electrical associated with the cars. It is rare to find any book written so clearly and with pictures, for those of us who have a difficult time following instructions.....

Bill