PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Help on Spitfire Timing

bev1957
12-28-2003, 09:42 PM
I went to check timing on my '73 spitfire earlier today & found that the pulley on the crankshaft did not have any markings on it at all. There was also no graduated scale showing so many degrees before and so many degrees after top dead center. The Bentley & Haynes books showed a few pictures, but nothing seems to match up with what I have. Help! Is this normal? Do I have a generic forward pulley?

Twinkie
12-28-2003, 10:47 PM
There should be a piece of tin sticking out from the front of the timing chain cover, almost over the pulley with markings on it. The pulley will have a V cut into side closest to the block, that you match up to the markings.
Maybe that piece of tin is missing.

bev1957
12-29-2003, 12:36 AM
The small triangluar piece of tin is there on the timing cover, but no notch on the pulley. Can anyone tell me it there was supposed to be graduated markings showing what degree off TDC I am? Thanks.

And thanks to Twinkie for the reply.

Bob Claffie
12-29-2003, 01:52 AM
If there is realy no groove on the pully (some of them are very subtle)I'm sure someone here can tell you how to find top dead center by checking the valves and #1 piston etc, better than I. Once you find TDC you can buy a strip of tape with the degrees marked on it. All you need to know is the outside diameter of the pully. A good source is "COMP CAMS" the hot rod performance company. After you orient the tape with the tin pointer you are practically finished. Bob

[ 12-28-2003: Message edited by: Bob Claffie ]</p>

MDCanaday
01-04-2004, 02:54 PM
You will probably have to time it by ear. This is a trial and error method but is, I think, better than just setting it to factory numbers that may not be right for your motor as it is now.Gas has changed too, so doing it by ear for the real world will give you the best overall results.
MD(mad dog)

Eric
01-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Two things to try. Often the notch on the pulley is very subtle. Run a fingernail around the rim on the engine side of the pulley and you may find it. Then, mark it with a paint pen to make timing easier (wite-out will do in a pinch, tho not durable) The other thing to check with old cars is that the PO may have reinstalled the pulley back to front, so the mark may be on the pulley lip furthest from the engine. Best to remove it and put it on right way round.