PDA

View Full Version : gift bike

anthony7777
01-24-2007, 03:35 PM
hello gents, im usually on the healey side of this forum but i do own a triumph 650 bonny, to day something interesting happened a friend gave me an 1100cc honda shadow, water cooled with only 8000 miles on it runs like new, brand new tires,never in an accident, needs some chrome polish here and there maybe replace the side covers but not much else.are these bikes worth anything? maybe not bother to even go get it?

tony barnhill
01-24-2007, 03:51 PM
THUNK! (as jaw hits floor)...CONGRATS!! Go get it - it'll be a fun ride

69tr
01-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I have an 1987 1100 shadow with 28000 miles on it. It's a hoot. I bought it because I had not ridden in about 30 years and did not want to drop an expensive bike while I was re-learning. My plan was to ride it for a while and get a newer bike. Now, I just can't find a reason to get rid of it. I guess I just old stuff.

I did ride the bike on the Rolling Thunder ride last Memorial Day week-end.(a 650 mile round trip for me)My buddies were on Ultra Glides. I had no trouble staying with them on the interstate and the bike ran well.

Enjoy

anthony7777
01-24-2007, 05:59 PM
69tr,well thats good to know, tony hi! you be everyplace! i did get it home this afternoon, pulled the plugs,shot some liqiud wrench into each cyl.,did oil change, removed fuel tank cleaned added fresh fuel,cranked engine with plugs out, cleaned install plugs,hooked up battery charger, turned on key,hit stater button and VROOOOMMM-VROOOMMM, this thing is loud in my garage, my wife got home right as this thing lit up,smiled gave a little wave and went up stairs. great gift and the best part is that it didnt come with any broken balls.

GB1
01-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Congrats!

tony barnhill
01-24-2007, 08:10 PM
WOO HOO!!

Steve
01-24-2007, 10:31 PM
The 1100 Honda Shadow is a great machine. They are bullet-proof, easy to ride, and last a looooong time!

Congratulations, you did well!

69tr
01-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Another note about my Shadow.

As I said earlier, I had not ridden in about 30 years. My wife had never even sat on a motorcycle.

When she came home from work that evening she wanted to see the bike. I think she was pleasantly surprisd with the condition, if not the size of the bike. Naturally I just had to sit on it. I told her to get on with me. She did.

Picture this. Two 60+ folks sitting on an old motorcycle in the garage in the middle of winter pretending we are ridding. 2nd childhood? Senility?

Oh well, My daughter says I haven't grown up anyway

Pete

drooartz
01-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Pete - may you never grow up. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Congrats on the gift/find. Hondas are generally good bikes, ride it and enjoy.

weewillie
01-25-2007, 11:00 AM
[ great gift and the best part is that it didnt come with any broken balls.[/quote]

Not yours Anthony but maybe thats why you got it LOL

anthony7777
01-25-2007, 07:29 PM
weewillie, dats why i hang wit da "afflouentte" types, day dondt gives away junk, got an offer of $3400.00 this afternoon picts to fallow, i can use the bucks for the "beast": 1963 healey, ox blood interior? the guy that gave me that bike is the guitar player in our three piece jazz group,im just da drummer, dont tell em i said this but i play the guitar better then him, hes got rental buildings from n.y to fla.the bike has less then 8000 miles on it, and hes the kind of guy that washes his shoe laces every time he uses his sneakers, go figyua!

anthony7777
02-01-2007, 09:56 AM
o.k. gents, yesterday (thursday) i got done with cleaning up the honda upon closer inspection i noticed it needed tires due to some cracking not bad but i wouldnt chance it on a long run, it was only 33 deg. but sunny so i took the bike for a spin down the end of my street and back a little over 1/8 of a mile the bike runs great but im afraid its a little too much bike for me about 600 lbs. and much too quick, honestly it scared the fecal matter out of me! once i got done shaking i took some picts. and put it on graigslist.

Harry_Ward
02-01-2007, 04:42 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Not to mention this cold air will drain you real quick especially if you twist the wrist full on. Hope the shakin' stopped.