PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Rear View Mirrors for UK TR6

12-23-2003, 05:56 PM
Hey guys,
I have been trying desperately to find the outside rearview mirrors that only came on early TR6's made for the UK. Moss-UK has a beautiful color photo in their online catalog and the are described as "Early Style Long Arm Mirror Assemblies". With glee I ordered them and promptly received some round mirrors that looked like they belong on a TR3. Rather than hastle with returning them, I sold those to an MG guy at a car show. And they don't respond to email. Rimmer has the same listing but supercedes the catalog number with a listing for just a different item. Anyone have a set they want to sell, in new condition, or know where I can buy them? These are large parabolic shaped mirrors that look like they came off of 60's American hardtop. The bullet mirrors on the car now are a pain to adjust, and the right one is for show only, unless you are the passenger. And please, don't anyone mention Miata.

Bill

01-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Well, I finally called London and talked to a salesman (love that accent) at Moss Motors UK to try and track down a pair of TR6-UK rearview mirrors. I called on Monday and on Wednesday received a beautiful set of stainless mirrors that give outstanding rear vision. Well made and relatively cheap. I saw some on photos of right-hand-drive TR6. These things are really large, give excellent vision and fit the style of the TR6 extremely well. In fact, they were made for the 6. Never understood why the US versions never had them. The cone-style mirrors we all have look like something that came out of the JCWhitney catalog. Pays to be persistant to find what you want.

Bill

mike crane
01-01-2004, 12:30 AM
Dr Bill Do your new mirrors use the same mounting bracket as the ones they replace? Also do you have a part number? The bullet mirror on my 6 is virtually worthless. Thanks Mike C graemlins/cheers.gif [/LIST]

01-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Mike,
Look up <moss-europe.co.uk> and wade your way up to the Triumph exterior accessories pages and the mirrors with the #6 by it is the one. The numbers on the boxes (made by TEX, the same people that make your wiper blades, etc.) YKC2960 and YKC2959. You are right, the bullet mirrors are useless...

Bill

01-01-2004, 08:22 AM
Oh, and they don't use the same hole but the base is larger than the bullet base, one hole can be used and a new one drilled. Presents no problem.

Bill

01-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Mike,
I just installed the first mirror on my 6, the right one. Had to modify the setup slightly. Redrilled the front hole in the door about 1/2 inch forward of the existing hole, using the plastic base for the mirror as a template. Backed up their plastic base with a piece of 1/8" rubber sheeting cut to fit. Used #10-24 stainless bolts to hold it to the door firmly. The mirror came with some sort of friction/expansion screw - not acceptable. These are there to stay. LOOK GREAT - EXCELLENT VIEW....
Bill

Bugeye58
01-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Bill, make sure to take a small brush and paint the edges of the old holes to protect them as much as possible. I've seen cars where the mirrors have been moved in the same manner, and the only way you could tell was by the streak of rust coming from under the base gasket!
Jeff

mike crane
01-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Dr Bill Thanks for the info I will check out the Moss site. Happy motoring. Mike C '71 TR6