PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A Transmission

ron wilson
12-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Have a 1959TR3A and when you let off the gas the transmission pops out of 3rd gear. Transmission and overdrive have just been rebuilt and clutch replaced hopefully to solve the problem. However it still pops out of 3rd gear. Also transmission case was cracked where it bolts on to the engine however this has been repaired by a machine shop and supposedly fits ok. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave Russell
12-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Hi Ron,
My first thought would be that the shifter boot or carpet is interfering with the shifter going completely into gear. The shifter should go completely into gear with a noticeable click feel & or sound.

Second thought would be to consult with whoever rebuilt it.
D

[ 12-21-2003: Message edited by: Dave Russell ]</p>

sammyb
12-21-2003, 08:39 PM
If it fully engages in gear and doesn't pop-out under acceleration, but when you let off the gas and it pops out... then I have your answer (because it's the same problem I have in second gear on my car!!!)

If you look at the shop manual (or Moss/VB catalogs) you'll see that there are two bronze bushings--one for second and one for third. These bushings get worn and start to have play. As soon as you let off the gas (or brake) the bushings slip and the gear pops out. The 3rd gear one is $33 and the 2nd gear is $25. I actually bought both locally from a TR mechanic coming through town for $25 total (lucky me.)

I'd talk to the shop that overhauled your tranny, because they should have checked for play in the bushings. The tranny will need to come back out and the bushings replaced. (There's no other fix other than to replace them.)

You can take the tranny tunnel off and then drive the car to the shop and unbolt the tranny cover. (6 bolts or so.) Then you can show the guys how much play there is and that it's something they definitely shouldn't have missed. Tell them you're happy to get the parts, but you want them to do the labor for free, since it's something they should have done in the first place.
Sorry for the bad news. I'm about to take the plunge and have mine fixed too.

Sam

MDCanaday
12-26-2003, 02:20 PM
Sammie has a good point, but the shifting hub needs to be looked at too, worn detent balls, weak springs........
Good luck
mad dog

12-26-2003, 05:30 PM
GOT IT!

12-27-2003, 04:43 AM
Funny you should speak about trannies. I have the three top bolts left holding my transmission onto the studs on the engine plate (everything else is disconnected) and I just have to build up the courage to bench press the gearbox up and onto the floorboard. Whew, for a 57-year-old and somewhat out of shape, this can be a bitch. Done it this way before. Sending it off to Joe Esposito to have a J-type added on. My Christmas present to me. Wish me luck.

Bill