PDA

View Full Version : Distributor/Timing Set Up

Cain
11-07-2003, 03:39 PM
I'm in the process of putting my engine back together and hope to get it back in the car this weekend. I'm still hung up on exactly how to set up the distributor with the #1 cylinder at TDC. Could someone please walk me through this or provide me a link for this info?

I've got the distributor drive gear, oil pump, and distributor pedistal in place. All I need to do is place the distributor in the pedistal and set it up.

Thank you very much.

tony barnhill
11-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Bring car to #1 piston at tod dead center on compression stroke...rotor on distributor should point towards #1 spark plug hole...

piman
11-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Hello Cain,
if you are talking a TR 6, then I'm afraid Tony is off the mark.
The sure way to determine if the engine is on TDC, No 1 firing is to remove the rocker cover, and turn over the engine watching the no 6 valves, when they are 'rocking' i.e. one just closing as the other is just opening (I can't remember if it is inlet closing and exhaust opening or vice versa.)
When you are at that point, the oil pump distributor spindle should be about 90 degrees to the engine block, with the larger portion of the 'D' facing to the rear (The slot in the drive spindle being off centre). If not, remove it and adjust its position before replacing it, you may need a couple of goes as it rotates when it mates with the cam skew gear.
This should give the distributor rotor arm pointing about half past to twenty five to for number one plug standing and looking from the side of the car. It does not point anywhere near No 1 cylinder when in its original position. You can now reset the engine to its timing mark and set the static timing.

If you have a look at members rides\Triumph\no11 see my engine. The number one lead is the upper one in the picure directly to the right of the coil lead, i.e. about five past as you look at the distributor.

Alec graemlins/cheers.gif

[ 11-07-2003: Message edited by: piman ]</p>

tony barnhill
11-07-2003, 09:39 PM
piman....you're correct...I was tslking about an MGB

Cain
11-08-2003, 04:13 AM
Are you saying the rotor physically points toward the #1 spark plug hole or the rotor points toward the #1 distributor contact?

tony barnhill
11-08-2003, 04:37 AM
Rotor points towards #1 spark plug hole thusly #1 spark plug wire is directly above it

Cain
11-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Right on. Thanks, Tony.

britishcarfreak
11-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Pull all the plugs and rotate the motor by hand whilst keeping your finger over the plug hole (you may need an assistant).

When the cylinder in question is on compression stroke you will feel pressure on your thumb. Then just bring it up to TDC.