PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Several TR3 questions

bluemiata90
10-28-2003, 07:33 PM
I just bought a 61 Triumph TR3 and have several questions. First, I found a slide out ashtray under the dash, did TR3 have ashtrays???. It looks like it is original, but could be an aftermarket. Second, What kind of present day brake fluid can be used in the brakes, I know that years ago they used some special fluid, but is there a compatible present day fluid?.
thanks
scott graemlins/driving.gif

Simon TR4a
10-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Castrol should be good, I think the only concern is some of the DOT 3 fluids assume you have synthetic rather than natural rubber seals in the brake system. Some of the older cars may have natural rubber seals which might deteriorate if you use an unsuitable fluid, but I think this would be a slow process.
Simon.

clint
10-28-2003, 08:03 PM
Don't think they had an ashtray. Use ONLY castrol gt/lma brake fluid. Any other stuff will destroy the seals. I don't reccomend silicone brake fluid unless it is a trailer queen. Have fun with the new ride.

Russ Austin
10-29-2003, 02:33 PM
The ashtray you are referring to was an option, it should be located just left of the glove box attached to the heater mount. It should have a bakealite front on it. I have one in my TR3A, they are some what rare. I saw one go on eBay for $165.00. Not to shabby for a piece of tin.

[ 10-29-2003: Message edited by: Russ Austin ]</p>