PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack

cyclingtr6
10-22-2003, 10:02 AM
I need to replace my steering rackon my TR6. Is a rebuilt, new stock or a quick ratio the best way to go? I am refurbishing the car for a nice daily driver. Any feedback on this would be great. Thanks

BOXoROCKS
10-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Hi, what makes you think your rack is bad?

cyclingtr6
10-22-2003, 09:38 PM
The ball joints under the boots are loose. if you push/pull at the tie rod ends there is a lot of play coming at that point. The car was bought as project and knew this was coming.

10-24-2003, 07:03 AM
You DON'T want a quick ratio steering rack. These are good for autocross only. Really scary at highway speeds.

Bill

Simon TR4a
10-24-2003, 11:49 AM
If you plan to keep the car a long time I would be tempted to get a new unit, but they are quite expensive. Make sure its not JUST the tie rod ends that are worn, also make sure the rack isn't moving in its mounts.
For extra precision in steering you can put on a solid rack mount, best one side only or you get too much feedback from bumps. Simon.

Rick O.
10-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Shop ebaY. There have been a few up the last few weeks. Make sure to confirm with seller that the knuckles are tight.

Good luck.

piman
10-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Hello TR6,
if it is loosness in the knuckle joints, it is worth checking if they can be reset as they are often shimmed on initial installation. If the tube bushes are worn, then it is probably worth getting a replacement. I would have no qualms about using a reconditioned unit.
Incidentally I have my rack totally solid mounted (aluminium clamps) and would recommend them, just don't bump kerbs.

Alec graemlins/cheers.gif