PDA

View Full Version : help with suspension upgrade

redgt6
10-13-2003, 02:44 AM
QUESTION: couple of years ago I purchased “stock” shocks from VictoriaBritish and I’m not satisfied with the ride. I know the GT6 is no Bentley, but I think I can do better. Been looking at SPAX ($90 each); KYB Gas A Just ($72 each), and KONI ($99 each). Will I find a significantly better ride for daily driving, not a racer. Any specific recommendations on above choices appreciated.
Also, how big a job is it to install new rubber rotoflex. Mine seem to be cracking?? Looks like it might be a big deal, special tools, etc.

piman
10-13-2003, 03:09 AM
Hello Red,
just what is wrong with the ride? I would guess as the shocks were replaced recently you won't see any improvement replacing them with a better unit. (Shock absorber is a misleading term, they don't absorb shocks at all, but control the springs)
If the ride is too hard or too soft then you need to look at the springs, but also make sure all the bushes are in good order.
I don't believe you need special tools but do not cut off the steel band on the new units until they are bolted in place.

Alec graemlins/cheers.gif

vagt6
10-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Some folks simply do not like Spax shocks for Triumphs. One respected authority on these cars (John Kipling) won't have anything to do with Spax, preferring Konis.

Regarding the rotoflex doughnuts, these often don't need replacing until they're almost completely worn out. They really don't require replacing unless the rubber doughnuts are REALLY cracking and separating. A few cracks here and there should be OK unless you drive agressively all the time. Under normal (i.e., non-racing) conditions they should last about 10,000 miles or so, given the quality of modern replacement parts.

These things can be a real bear to replace, so don't fix them if they're not broken (famous Triumph owner's slogan). Some folks spray the doughnuts with silicone spray occaisionally which may keep cracks from forming, retard deterioration.

Bob Buxbaum
10-13-2003, 08:23 PM
I have a GT6+. If you can avoid replacing the donuts, AVOID IT!!!! W O W what a pain. If you have a VERY good Triumph mechanic avaiable to you then that could be your best bet unless you have a bit of mechanical ability AND a press to remove and install the stub axles that go in the hubs. A very REAL challenge. Been there, done that.

Shocks. I have Spax on the back of the GT6 and all the way around on a TR8 that I autocross. At best they are "okay". The GT6 had them when I bought it, and I put them on the TR8 for their adjustable feature - MUCH easier on the rears. If Koni had externally adjustable rear shocks I would have bought them instead. Since it sounds like this is a "driver" for you I would suggest that the Koni's are worth the extra money. I have owned them in the past and they are clearly better than SPAX shocks. They will improve ride quality and handling of your GT6, and I am so sure of that I have ordered them for mine. Set them just one position up from the softest and you will feel the difference. Crank them all the way up and you will crush your skull!!!

redgt6
10-14-2003, 12:24 AM
Appreciate the above advise and look forward to other opinions about suspension improvement.
Bob your words concerning the rotoflex are what I suspected. I'll follow vagt6's advise and pamper them until they become the "squeeky wheel" that requires fixing.