PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR-6 Ignition switch/lock replacement

TerrierCarrier
09-14-2003, 01:37 AM
Hello All,

It finally happened. Tried to start the TR-6 and one of the ignition lock tumblers popped loose and jammed itself deep into the lock. Of course, I had just trailered the car some distance and needed to start it to get it off the trailer. I managed to back the trailer into alignment so I could push it off directly into the garage. I guess it was better than failing at some remote location - in the rain.

So, here's the question. Has anyone replaced the ignition lock on a TR-6? I have a new one. It's set up so that at the proper torque, the mounting bolt heads shear off to prevent someone from removing them easily. I haven't tried but the bolts appear to be hardened so drilling them out will be a challenge. It looks like I'm going to have to saw the old one off. Before I start, any suggestions, hints, etc. will be gladly accepted.

Thanks in advance.

Larry Kronemeyer
09-14-2003, 01:44 AM
I took them out without shearing them, they are to shear in impact to keep wheel away from you. You might look cloely and see the back of the switch from underneath, lever it out and replace without loosening wheel, Iwas able to do that on other Triumphs, also find an older chevy ignition switch 62-66, will have same terminals for emergency in any Triumph, just hook on.
Larry

Larry Kronemeyer
09-14-2003, 01:46 AM
Forgot to add, if the keyhole face has a small hole on it, a paperclip will help remove the tumbler, if that,s all you need.
Larry