PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Tips for Pulling Cylinder Block from TR6

Cain
09-11-2003, 05:44 PM
As stated in my other post "Hatching Cylinder Walls," I have decided to pull the cylinder block and send it to the machinist to be bored out.

Any tips on pulling the block out? I've already got a cherry picker and truck lined up for this weekend.

All that is left of the engine in the car right now is the block, crank shaft, cam shaft, timing chain, and timing chain cover. I plan on leaving these items intact and let the machinist/mechanic worry about removing and reinstalling those items correctly.

The LBC guy told me to remove the transmission from the car, then disconnect the engine mounting bolts, and remove the block from the car. He told me to remove the transmission from inside the car.

What should I be aware of when disengaging the transmission from the engine?

Anything else I should know before I do this?

Thanks

09-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Cain,
You have two choices on pulling the engine from a TR6: with or without the tranny attached. Either way you will have to separate the transmission from the engine, so I would recommend pulling them at the same time. Remove the front wheels and set the car down as low to the ground in the front as you can on short jack stands, after everything is disconnected of course. Raise the rear high on taller jack stands, that way you have a nice tilt on the car. Any good engine hoist with an adjustable tilt bar will do it. The engine must be tilted front end up (and steering rack disconneted and slid forward) to clear the firewall. Don't bother with an engine stand. Build you a rectangular box out of 4X4 timbers to set the engine (sans oilpan) on. You can pull the tranny from this position much easier.
Bill

SilentUnicorn
09-11-2003, 07:58 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cain:

What should I be aware of when disengaging the transmission from the engine?

Thanks<hr></blockquote>

DO NOT Let The Squirrels Out!!!

graemlins/lol.gif graemlins/lol.gif graemlins/jester.gif

ps Welcome to the forum
mark

piman
09-12-2003, 03:54 AM
Hello Cain,
I'm with Dr Bill, but what is more convincing is that it is much easier to replace the gearbox onto the engine out of the car. It can be a real struggle slotting the engine back in with the gearbox fixed in the car.

Alec graemlins/cheers.gif

Cain
09-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Update.

I actually took the block out without removing the transmission. However, when I get my engine back from the rebuild, I plan on taking the tranny out and assembling it to the engine outside of the car. Then inserting the entire assembly. That seems as though it would be easiest and guarantee a solid reassembly.