PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust/Muffler Question

Cain
08-26-2003, 01:40 PM
I just bought a '71 TR6 - my first LBC - and it doesn't have a muffler. It has the initial OEM pipe from the manifold to underneath the car, but then it just has a straight pipe crammed in it from there.

The cost of the muffler from moss is $109. Does anybody out there know of a cheaper muffler that will fit my car?

Thanks

Simon TR4a
08-26-2003, 01:55 PM
Hi Cain,
You could just go to a muffler shop and have them bend something up but its probably best to get the correct item.
The stock exhaust of a TR6 is one of the nicest sounding you will come across, and I imagine it flows well as the same system was used in England on the fuel injected cars with much higher power.
you should have dual pipes and a transverse muffler across the back of the car.
Simon.

MDCanaday
08-27-2003, 12:37 AM
Cain you must have an early 71 to have the single pipe. If $$ is an issue, I suggest 2 , 2in id glasspacs welded end to end with a short pipe to finish at the rear. This will give the most TR6 like sound for the least $$$. But if you can swing it the stock system is hard to beat for good notes!!
MD(mad dog)

Gary Pope
08-27-2003, 11:58 AM
I have a Monza dual system that will fit your 71 TR6 for sale if your interested. Its a bit loud but would look good. It has the two mufflers at the back and merges into a single pipe.

asking $75 + shipping.

I also have a 280zx exhaust muffler and pipe that is nice and quiet and will fit, but muffler hangs down a little, but could be manipulated. I ran with this system for a while and was happy enough.

asking $55 plus shipping

[ 08-27-2003: Message edited by: Gary Pope ]</p>

Cain
08-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Gary,

That's sounds like a great deal and I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll bite the bullet and go with the OEM muffler. I like the idea of a quieter car.

2campdogs
08-29-2003, 11:18 AM
I plan on putting a AERO Chamber by Hooker Headers on my 70 GT6 based on some previous post not sure if they have what you want

Bugeye58
08-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Campdog, I'm running the stock front muffler on my MkI GT6, and then at the back I've got a megaphone that I made from the expansion chamber from a go kart. It's quiet enough at a steady state, but when you get on the throttle, it makes the car live up to it's reputation as "The evil little car with the hellish howl".
Jeff