PDA

View Full Version : rear axle leak

bigbadbluetr6
08-26-2003, 01:21 AM
I was outside workin on the car and I realized that there was some oil right by the drivers side rear wheel. It was a black liquid, which I think it is oil. Does anyone have any idea what that fluid could be? I don't think it is the brake fluid because it is holding fluid in the master cyclinder. What else is there in the rear end that would leak? It is just coming from one side and coming from the inside of the tire. I really don't know what this is so just give me all the ideas you got and is this a big problem? Thanks once again guys for all the help you are all awesome.
Eric

piman
08-26-2003, 04:01 AM
Hello BBTR6,
Assuming we are talking TR6, then there is no oil at the rear wheels. I would, ordinarily say brake fluid, but if you are not losing any? The hub is packed with grease on assembly and if this has overheated it could leak some, but either from inside the swinging arm (hub input side) or into the hub cap (assuming you still have them).
Where exactly is this fluid running from?

Alec graemlins/cheers.gif

P.S. just had a thought, is there a visible leak from the shock absorber?

[ 08-26-2003: Message edited by: piman ]

[ 08-26-2003: Message edited by: piman ]</p>

bigbadbluetr6
08-26-2003, 11:59 AM
I just checked the rear end more closely and it is a clear fluid which would mean brake fluid. It is coming from inside the drum. Now what does it mean if it is coming from inside the drum? I tried getting the cap off the brake master and the cap would not move.
Eric

DougR
08-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Hi Eric, Sounds to be related closely enough to brake system. Axle grease in the drum will also reduce brake effectiveness. My maxim is, "you had better be able to stop if you want to go."
It's not rocket science doing brakes,.... but how straight is your front bumper today? Take it in.

aeronca65t
08-26-2003, 01:00 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bigbadbluetr6:
I just checked the rear end more closely and it is a clear fluid which would mean brake fluid. It is coming from inside the drum. Now what does it mean if it is coming from inside the drum? <hr></blockquote>

It most likely means that the rear wheel cylinder (under the drum) is leaking....there's also a slight chance that the brake line adjacent to the wheel cylinder is leaking. Either way, the brake drum should be removed to inspect the cause. You can rebuild or replace the cylinder (personally, I'd replace). As Doug implies, it needs to be repaired ASAP.
The master brake cylinder cap can be removed with a small strap wrench.