PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Calipers

Newbie Joe
08-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey all
I was just wondering if someone out there knew of a place I could get rebuilt TR6 calipers. I would need the ones that come on the later TR6's as mine is a 75. If anybody knows of somewhere I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Rick O.
08-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi Joe. You might try Apple Hydraulics in NY. Why not rebuild them yourself? I did this last winter and it's very easy to do. Get a rebuild kit from a supplier like TRF or LBCC and you're on your way.

Newbie Joe
08-15-2003, 02:36 PM
I tried that and when i took off the calipers the pistons are so stuck that i can't get them out. Any ideas? Thanks

SilentUnicorn
08-15-2003, 04:49 PM
compressed air... but be careful. they can really sail if your not prepared. i used a thin piece of wood to give the piston a *soft* spot to hit

Mark

Basil
08-15-2003, 05:12 PM
I am sending mine to White Post restorations. They resleeve the bores in brass, then machine to original specs and they also paint them with a two-stage epoxy that is baked on (natural metal color). For just the cylider rebore they chare about $80 per cylinder. (8 total on the car assuming its disk brakes front and rear)

Basil

Rick O.
08-19-2003, 01:46 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SilentUnicorn:
compressed air... but be careful. they can really sail if your not prepared. i used a thin piece of wood to give the piston a *soft* spot to hit

Mark<hr></blockquote>

For safety, submerge the caliper in a bucket of water when you apply the air. Unless you are extremely fortunate, both pistons will NOT be pushed out evenly. You'll have to C-clamp the freed piston in to force the stuck piston out.