PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 hard to start after running hard

08-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Hey guys,
Quick question:
Why is my TR6 hard to start after a hard run all of the sudden? All electricals check out, timing, points, condenser, coil- all fresh. Think it is a fuel problem, maybe set too lean? I built the car myself ('cept the engine) and just lately it takes a lot of cranking with the gas pedel to the floor to get it to light up. Understand there could be a miriad of things to look at but rich/lean on triple ZS carbs maybe the culprit? Been fooling with them and may have them set wrong. (Greatest salvation was finally setting the point gap with a dwell meter)

If it were a tooth I could fix the **** thing.

Dr. Bill

Larry Kronemeyer
08-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Does it start ok when cold? If so check the choke and make sure it is open all the way when hot, also, check the plugs for fuel burn if lean check carbs, if rich check choke.
Larry

Bugeye58
08-11-2003, 12:11 AM
Dr. Bill, sometimes LBC's are exactly like a perpetual toothache! Or a pain at the other end of one's anatomy.
Jeff

08-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks Larry,
Plugs 5 and 6 were white, 3 and 4 were almost white and 1 and 2 were close to tan. I enriched the back carb 1/2 turn, the middle and first ones a little better than 1/4 and everything smoothed out, it now starts first hit every time. The Japanese starter doesn't even strain.

Bill

Steven
08-27-2003, 02:05 PM
My 75 TR6 ran terrible for years when the motor was warmed up well. It stumbled, cut out, and was really hard to start on a warm engine. It also overheated occasionally. I found the secret to be.....run a summer thermostat during the hot months of the year. You can tune that thing til its spec perfect and it will still run like crap unless you change thermostats by the season. Mine has never run better in summer since i put in a summer t-stat. It only took 15 minutes to put in too. images/icons/grin.gif

aeronca65t
08-28-2003, 03:12 AM
I'd agree that a colder thermostat in the Summer may help.
Also, assuming you've got reasonable carbs and igniton, you may want to check valve adjustment. Sometimes, "tight" valves will make an engine difficult to start when warm.