PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4A alternator conversion

Bruce Hawkins
07-03-2003, 01:21 PM
My generator was getting flaky so I knew that I would have to replace it or rebuild it. Instead I decided to replace it with an alternator, in accordance with the directions from Dan Masters on the VTR website. The installation went well and the car does all kinds of things like lighting up the road at night and providing turn signals that flash more than once a month. The problem is that now the ignition light functions in reverse, it comes on when the car is off and turns off when the key is turned. I've disconnected the bulb to bypass the issue, but this is obviously not a repair. I've checked the wiring twice and even bypassed the harness with direct wires to see if there was a short, but no luck. The car works fine, the gauges all function properly and there is no drain on the battery with the bulb disconnected, but I don't know how to fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

MDCanaday
07-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Bruce, go back to the basics, the gen lamp comes on when the key is turned on . This shows power to the field coils in the generater. I dont know how you have the alt hooked up but it sounds as though you are getting a feedback from the alt when in the off position. ..... look at the bright side , the smoke is not leaking out!!!
MD(mad dog)

TRMark
07-05-2003, 12:42 AM
Bruce, I did the conversion on my TR4 several months ago, it works very well. If you followed the istructions carefully the problem is not there. The only problems I encountered were cured by soldering the connectors instead of crimping. I also cleaned the terminals at the voltage regulator. I took the insides out of the regulator and used it for a buss strip with some internal jumpers. If you have a wiring diagram you should be able to logic your way through the problem, especially if you make a copy of the diagram and then make the changes necessitated by the conversion. I am away from my shop at my cabin this weekend, I can look at my diagram when I get home on Sunday. Good Luck.