PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Question

ObiRichKanobi
06-07-2003, 09:49 AM
My next project may be replacing the exhaust (or a portion) on my TR7. Although it looks like it's in good shape mechanically, the tailpipe (behind the resonator) is surface rusted and hangs low...may not be the right one, and is downright UGLY. My question is if I decide to replace the exhaust, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of switching to the "monza style" freeflow exhaust, as it's not much more for that entire system than it would be just for the "stock" resonator? Reading other posts, it seems that in some other Triumphs (particularly Spitfires without OD), the monza exhaust creates too much drone at highway speeds. However, my TR7 only pulls about 3000 RPM at 70-75mph, and the wind noise drowns out my current drone. images/icons/rolleyes.gif Also, is there really a performance enhancement? Thanks for the inputs!

06-07-2003, 05:45 PM
I had the Monzas on my TR6, they lasted all of one year. Rotted out, mild steel construction makes them rust badly. The drone was also more than I could handle. I went to dual Falcon stainless, cut off the resonator tips and had some custom 2.5 x 6 inch by 10-inch-long tips welded on. Looks good and gives a good Brraaatt!
Plus, I don't need an Advil after a roadtrip to New Orleans.

06-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Plus, the little punks driving the rice grinders with the coffee can mufflers always give me the eye....

Casper
06-08-2003, 03:20 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ObiRichKanobi:
My next project may be replacing the exhaust (or a portion) on my TR7. Although it looks like it's in good shape mechanically, the tailpipe (behind the resonator) is surface rusted and hangs low...may not be the right one, and is downright UGLY. My question is if I decide to replace the exhaust, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of switching to the "monza style" freeflow exhaust, as it's not much more for that entire system than it would be just for the "stock" resonator? Reading other posts, it seems that in some other Triumphs (particularly Spitfires without OD), the monza exhaust creates too much drone at highway speeds. However, my TR7 only pulls about 3000 RPM at 70-75mph, and the wind noise drowns out my current drone. images/icons/rolleyes.gif Also, is there really a performance enhancement? Thanks for the inputs!<hr></blockquote>

Casper
06-08-2003, 03:24 AM
I have the Monza system on Casper, and I really like the look, I can't say it adds to performance, but the sound certainly adds to the enjoyment! I normally cruise @ 2500-3000 in 5th and the sound is not at all annoying. If fact...I love it. But then I have always liked the noisy TR2 sound better anyway.
I guess it is personal preference, but those dual chrome end pipes look KOOL!

Darwin
06-10-2003, 02:05 AM
The Monza exhaust system is quite loud but it does look nice. Adding a new high performance exhaust system will do little to increase performance without other modification such as header, carbs, air filters, and modification to the flow characteristics of the head. To gain any real benefit upgrading must treat the entire system as a whole.