PDA

View Full Version : STAAAAAG!

DB6
06-01-2003, 02:24 PM
Just out of pure curiosity, has anyone had a trouble free Triumph Stag? I think the yare great cars to drive, but judging from what I have seen at my local mechanic, they seem to have some troubles.

Sherlock
06-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Well....

I don't own one, but know lots of people who do.

My club (in signature below) has gained a nickname - Triumph Stag Club of Ontario, the club president owns two (one on the road) and his son owns one as well plus about ten more of them on the club register.

Anyway... From all that I've heard the people who own them really like them and I haven't heard any major complaints, other than the usual ailments of British cars. One member sold off his beautifully restored Austin A90 Atlantic then turned around and purchased a Stag (he still owns his Austin A105 Westminster too), he seems quite happy with his purchase. The problem with the original Triumph V8 engine back when they were new has been solved by now, so I'm told.

[ 06-01-2003: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

DB6
06-01-2003, 07:10 PM
And what problem would that be? I have no idea about Stags, It's just that whenever I go to my local garage and my mechanic is busy with a Staag, he doesn't stop complaining, he's in a bad mood, so I have to go back another time...
Pure curiosity, thats all.

danny

Sherlock
06-02-2003, 12:11 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> DB6 said: And what problem would that be? (referring to engine problems with the Triumph V8 when first installed in the Stag)
<hr></blockquote>

I'll need higher minds on this one...

Anyone recall the specific problem with the Triumph V8? Particularly when they first developed it.

Steve
06-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Higher minds? I dunno, I'm round about sea level here.

Anyway, the problem with the Stags centered around them overheating. The car was very prone to this, but this has since been cured (by the aftermarket) with, I believe, larger radiators. The car was, as is usually the case with BL, under-developed, and the consumer bore the brunt of the trouble-shooting with new models. So, in a nutshell, there used to be a problem, there is a problem no more. Just about any car with the original engine has been sorted by now.

Dale
06-02-2003, 12:43 AM
Re: The Triumph Stag. According to Mike Cook in his book "Triumph Cars In America" the Stag had reliability problems that centered on the cooling system. "The first item on the dealer predelivery check list was pouring a can of Bar's Leaks(r)into the radiator!"
As a TR7 owner and admirer I can relate to the problems with cylinder head sealing as the Stag V8 was essentially two of the TR7 slant fours, which meant double the trouble. Mike discusses the Stag in much more detail in his book which I highly recommend to any LBC enthusiast.
He relates that by the middle of 72 most of the cooling problems had been solved and even though the Stag was sold in the UK 'til 77 it was gone from the states at the end of the 73 model year.

DB6
06-02-2003, 06:16 AM
I think my mechanic got all the ones which had not yet been sorted so far...

78Z
06-03-2003, 11:17 AM
I've seen a couple with Ford and Chevy V8s to replace the Triumph units. Apparently the Rover V8 was a popular subsitute in the UK until the issues were resolved.

Sherlock
06-03-2003, 11:20 PM
78Z,

Actually there's a Stag for sale in your backyard right now (Airdrie)

Don't know if you've seen the listing in the Bargain Finder and Canadian Old Car Trader.

78Z
06-04-2003, 01:43 AM
I know there is this expensive one in the bargin finder

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>71 Triumph, V8 Stag, orig US desert car, no rust or body work, 4 spd, c/w hard & soft tops, 65,000 miles, $15,500 obo<hr></blockquote>

but gives no phone number so I can't tell if its Airdrie.

I'd love a Stag but unless its for sale for pocket change then out of the question (already have three vehicles now and only one running).

Bill Rowland
06-07-2003, 08:47 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DB6:
Just out of pure curiosity, has anyone had a trouble free Triumph Stag? I think the yare great cars to drive, but judging from what I have seen at my local mechanic, they seem to have some troubles.<hr></blockquote>

Bill Rowland
06-07-2003, 08:55 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DB6:
Just out of pure curiosity, has anyone had a trouble free Triumph Stag? I think the yare great cars to drive, but judging from what I have seen at my local mechanic, they seem to have some troubles.<hr></blockquote>

I bought one new and had it in the shop the 2nd week. It was there so often it had a regular bay (kind of like your own table at your favorite restaurant). Overheating, transmission turning to jelly etc. BUT--I loved it. In fact, I've just found one with a Corvette eng and tranny--I know--but I want the relibility. I think I'm going to buy it. I'm also looking for a really nice Spitefire. So--the story is--everyone I have know that had a Stag loved it but hated all the problems.

MDCanaday
06-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Bill , get the car, sell the vette motor and tranny. Put in the rover drive line!! A good friend of mine had so much trouble with this setup he finally had to add the vette rear end, and I swear its not an easy swap for even the most adventurous mechanic!!! The stock rear gears will take only about 250 hp before the whole thing goes south in a dramatic fasion. There is also an issue with the balance of the car getting front heavy with the iron 8 vs the al. I would like to know what they were smoking in the boardroom when they FORGOT they already had a dandy little v8 in production, and decided to build the stag OHC instead!!!!
MD(mad dog)

StagByTriumph
01-31-2004, 11:55 PM
Better yet, buy the car, sell the corvette setup, Join the Triumph Stag Club USA, restore the car to original and enjoy a Stag that is reliable. graemlins/cheers.gif

Eric
02-01-2004, 03:20 PM
My understanding (and I'm no expert) is that they're very sensitive to how the heads are torqued down, and to the type of gaskets used. There's also a cooling system mod that is helpful. I'd Google for a club - there's lots of interest in them in the UK.

StagByTriumph
02-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Hi Eric,
In North America Triumph Stag Club USA is THE Stag club. No need to Google for others, they don't exist, at least ones that are still active.
TSC USA has over 205 active members, over 225 Stags and growing steadily about 5-10% a quarter.

All the repair issues are known, very fixable, including parts supply and parts quality. graemlins/thirsty.gif graemlins/cheers.gif