PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Triple Carbs for TR6

05-27-2003, 11:28 PM
I have installed triple ZS carbs using the GoodParts custom manifold, plus his roller rockers and forced air injection on my 73 TR6. I can only say good things about this setup. Went thru two Weber DGV downdraught setups and hated both, not adjustable on the fly, and ugly. Some people downrate the ZS carbs, but they are some of the most reliable out there.

Gary Pope
05-28-2003, 10:19 AM
I agree with your statement on the Strombergs .. If they are clean, fresh and setup correct, they are well suited to Triumphs engines.

Carmine
05-28-2003, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I am thinking of doing the same setup next winter. What do you think is the increase in HP from what you did?
Did you make any other mods?

05-29-2003, 09:22 PM
In reference to my trips ZS setup, the increase in power is noticeable in all three ranges, especially in low and high. The beauty of the setup with Richard Good's short, equalength manifolds is the instantaneous response off the line. Fuel economy has not changed. The engine was bored 20 over. I went back to Lucas points and condensers. Had nothing but trouble with electronic ignition. Save these things and a Sport Coil, I am stock. I also have custom stainless exhausts with Jet Hot plated stock exhaust manifold. Headers add nothing to your power.

Dave Russell
05-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Bill,
What is forced air injection & what does it do?
D
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dr. Bill:
and forced air injection on my 73 TR6. <hr></blockquote>

05-29-2003, 11:10 PM
I should have called it "forced air induction", or some would call it Ram Air. An air box takes the place of the air filters (in my case three) and connects to a large diameter tube through the readiator shroud to a filter assembly in front of the radiator, with the high pressure in this area "ramming" air into the carbs. Does it work, dunno. Looks good. I had my hood louvered on the left side for air to get to the carbs, now this is moot. The louvers just let heat out when I idle, also looks bitchen...

05-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Two corrections: not readiator, but radiator and I have the hood louvered on the RIGHT side of the car. 13 four inch louvers.

Dave Russell
05-30-2003, 12:06 AM
OK - Thanks

piman
05-30-2003, 04:40 AM
Hello Dr Bill,
Historically, ram air has been found not to work well due to upsetting the carburation, however it does give cooler air than drawing it from under the bonnet, which is a good thing.
You say that headers, which I take to be exhaust manifold, do not do anything for power. The TR 6 is quite a good system as standard but fitting a 6-3-1 manifold (not 6-2-1) has been shown to give a good increase for a road car. Not a particularly good cost\gain ratio perhaps, but effective.
I also run points with a Lucas Sports coil on my Triumph and am quite happy with the set up. I regularly check the dwell and points volts drop and find that I rarely need to make any adjustment, contrary to what I have read from others on this forum.
We don't see many triple set up's in Britain but then we are fortunate to have the Lucas injection over here.
have fun.

Alec graemlins/cheers.gif