PDA

View Full Version : Don't like that sound!

Basil
05-23-2003, 08:57 PM
I was driving today with the top down in my Spit and heard what sounds like either a bearing going or (hope not) the differential making noise! Nope, don't like the sound of it one little bit.

Basil

SilentUnicorn
05-25-2003, 05:41 PM
Betcha a dollar its a bearing. the noise can seem to be coming from almost anywhere on the drive train

clint
05-25-2003, 06:22 PM
A wheel bearing will usually go away or get louder when you take a fast turn. The pinion bearing (and gears in the diff)usually changes tone with hitting the gas and coasting. Output bearings in the diff may be more constant noise makers. That ain't set in stone Basil, last thing I need is to have you change the wrong bearing!

Bob Claffie
05-26-2003, 12:31 AM
A "new" engine bearing knock will usually only be heard when cruising, steady light throttle, and will disappear when either on the gas or off the gas. If you drop the pan look first at rod #3, that is the weakest one of the four. The chance of it being a main bearing are next to none. Bob Possibly misunderstood your bearing problem, are you talking about a rear end or axle bearing?????

[ 05-25-2003: Message edited by: Bob Claffie ]</p>

VitSport6
05-26-2003, 01:15 AM
Hi Basil.
What type of noise was it? When did it happen?
Here is a link that might be of help...I hope

http://www.canleyclassics.com/infodatabase.asp?topic=noises

They have always been great for my needs and questions.
Good luck graemlins/cheers.gif graemlins/thirsty.gif

Joel Simmons
05-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Aloha Basil,

Get the car up on jack-stands and grab 12 O'clock and 6 O'clock and give it a good "back-n-forth." Is there any play? If its obvious, probably a bearing...