PDA

View Full Version : 6 yrs of restoration and still have not finished

pvergon
05-23-2003, 05:52 AM
hola !!!

it's been six years already and i can't seem to finish my dad's old 1967 TR4A !!!! yes it's true, my dad bought it new here in Guatemala, Central America, back in 1967 and the speedometer says Km/h instead of miles per hour.

back in 1997, i was 22 yrs old, right after my girlfriend went back to her hometown in Burlington, Vermont, i decided to start this project. It's been 3 girlfriends, $.10K and 6 years; and I still haven't been able to finish my lovely car !!! By the way, my worst limitation has been the $$$ not my girlfriend, although she does complain from time to time, about the money i've invested in the car !!!

anyhow, it's all painted, the body already met the chasis and hopefully the engine will be installed this coming month. I know the engine should have been first ... but i couldn't afford it back then.

I know i have almost all the spare parts I need (except for the windshield and the "km" speedometer that i broke) and i guess i would like to know if there is anyone out there who did the restoration in more than six years, so i can perhaps read some words of comfort during this last desperate phase. not that i'm not enjoying the putting together phase it's just that i get a bit impatient when i read all these wonderful stories about driving your convertible under the rain.

anyone out there ???? if not ... how many years did it take you ???

SilentUnicorn
05-23-2003, 08:12 AM
4 years and still not done..

UltimateQuestion
05-23-2003, 09:17 AM
Seven years, got married, two kids, a job change and move into a brand new house and barely even started!
Lots of parts and plans but too many other things that need my attention. Oh, and never enough $ graemlins/cryin.gif

Twinkie
05-23-2003, 09:27 AM
It's been going on twelve years for my brother's '74 MGB. He's done it all himself including paint. But with starting a family and work, it's been a looong slow process.
But he gets reinspired after he comes out here to attend the British car show every spring(last weekend), and more gets done on the car.

MDCanaday
05-23-2003, 10:18 PM
Paul, what is time really????? the worst thing you can do is to rush through and not do a proper job of it!!I think my 6 has been in process for 5 years. But there are lots of good reasons(like the tr4 getting hit)why it didnt get more attention. My best advise is to religiously put in 2 hours a week fixing even the smallest thing, even if it will not be installed right away, it has to get done some time!!!Work gets done one nut at a time, so just keep on the old girl, one fine day you will be amazed!!!I promise!!!
MD(mad dog)

Rob DeScherer
05-28-2003, 04:26 PM
I started my restoration about 3 1/2 years ago. Between work, wife, and kids, it is hard to put in the time to really get it done. I am not going for a show car, but one that will be fun to drive on a regular basis during good weather. Sometimes I have to stop in the middle of a project, and when I get back to it, it is hard to pick up where you left off, so I lose more time. Just keep at it. I had a TR4A IRS before my TR6 which sat for just s little too long to make it a viable rebuild. You've got a really nice car. Good luck.

Larry4A
06-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Took 6 years for my 674A. Helped distribute the cost so the wife is still with me. Everyone kept asking , is it done yet ? Only you can set the pace, too many variables in ones life. Funny how the incentive is to look forward to driving on those sunny days, but now that Iam there I also do miss the quiet times working on the little beast, bringing it up from the ruins to a finished car. Relax, have fun and enjoy the whole project. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

Bugeye58
06-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Started the GT6 in 1992, and still haven't finished. I'm very close, but have to admit not touching it for over 5 years. Too many other things get in the way, and I've always got another LBC to drive, so there doesn't seem to be any urgency. One of these days...............!
Jeff

06-30-2004, 10:44 PM
I have a friend that did his TR6 in record time. Five minutes - he wrote a check. And, he is miserable. Now knows what he missed and how much he doesn't know. I think he sold it and bought a Miata. Poor guy.
My TR6 I did in three years, in my one-car garage. (Farmed out the paint and the short block/tranny/diff.)
Hang in there. I like the advice of doing something every week and doing it well. You will know every noise the car makes, and there will be plenty.....

Bill

StagByTriumph
07-01-2004, 01:49 PM
some people never get done, they just keep buying more LBC's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Trevor Triumph
07-01-2004, 02:36 PM
I started the restoration of Trevor in May 1992 when I bought the car. It first ran in 1993 then I tackled bits and pieces until 1997 when a friend said, "Only ten bolts and the body comes off." We found out it was actually twelve, but who's counting. It was back on the road April of 1999, but still is not quite finished. As I began the work on Trevor, I bought another Spit to serve as a donor but the car was in better shape that the one I was working on. So now we have another Spit that is still in pieces, though it is coming along. It should be on the road by the end of August. T.T.

Simon TR4a
07-02-2004, 12:16 PM
This is discouraging; I wrecked my TR4a Saturday before last in a racing accident. Very heavy front end damage including frame,I was hopimg 2 years to fix, and am looking for a Spitfire to get me by!
Simon, depressed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

Bugeye58
07-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Simon, sorry to hear of your shunt. I trust you are OK after the incident.
Where were you racing?

I have a similar story involving a Bugeye and a rollover in turn 2 at Waterford Hills. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif Disheartening, to say the least.
Jeff

MDCanaday
07-07-2004, 11:20 PM
One more thought, LBC's are never really done, you will always get to do more little chores from time to time as things break, come loose, or just die mysteriously.My tr4 has been "done" for 9 years, and I have yet to get the windscreen washer to work..........
MD(mad dog)

Rob DeScherer
07-08-2004, 11:59 AM
I agree with Mad Dog. We are never really done with our cars, unless theya re just going to be a show piece. I have been working on my TR6 for 5 years. although I am beginning to see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel, I know that I will always be looking for ways to improve the car. Isn't that why we all took up this (incredibly frustrating) hobby?