PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen removal

Crisis
05-20-2003, 12:08 PM
I am in the process of replacing the crash pads in my 73 TR6. In order to replace the dash top pad the windscreen has to be removed. I am having a problem with this. I've removed the pillar end bolts and loosened the pillar brackets but it still does not want to move. Any suggestions?

Gary Pope
05-20-2003, 02:04 PM
There are nuts on top of the dash pad where the tonneau clips are .. you need to remove them. These secure down brackets welded to the screen frame. You also probably need to take out the two bolts that secure the brackets to the end posts .. you get to them by opening the doors wide and they are just behind the door pillar and fender end.

I did mine last year and ended up using a mallet on the post ends, the brackets were rusted tight around them. Be careful doing this though.

MDCanaday
05-23-2003, 11:14 PM
I think Gary is right on here,but also be sure to spray it down first with your best rust buster(kroil or ATF)Dont bung up the ends of the threads on the uprights!!! Only tap on it with a nut inplace!!
MD(mad dog)

Crisis
06-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Finally got the windscreen frame off. I re-tightened 2 of the 3 bracket bolts (left the clamping one loose), nutted the pillar end and hit with a hammer for 10 minuted or so. Eventually it came off. Prior to tightening those 2 bolts, the bracket would just move with the pillar as I tapped it.

I have a new question for when I replace the frame. When I removed the windscreen frame I discovered that along with the gasket there was a flexible sealing compound. Do I need to replace this or is the rubber gasket enough? Any idea what the product is?

Any suggestions would be helpfull.

TRMark
06-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Just did this on my TR4. I used 3M Strip-Calk, part no. 08578