PDA

View Full Version : Engine Runon

Rick O.
05-14-2003, 09:31 AM
My TR6 will frequently runon briefly following shutdown and I know runon can be caused by over-advanced timing or carbon buildup in the heads. Can an improper carb mixture also contribute to the problem? Or is this a characteristic of the car (since the later TR's have a solenoid-activated shutoff valve on the bottom of the charcoal canister)? Thanks!

Gary Pope
05-14-2003, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rick O.:
Or is this a characteristic of the car (since the later TR's have a solenoid-activated shutoff valve on the bottom of the charcoal canister)? <hr></blockquote>

Rick,
I believe you are correct because they installed the anti-run on valve on the later cars. I think we can take solace knowing that we all have the same situation and it seams to be a quirk of the cars. However, I do believe that the springs get stretched over 30 years and probably won't return back quickly enough.
I am coming to believe that the distributor weights and springs contribute to a lot of idle and bad running situations.

aeronca65t
05-15-2003, 01:28 PM
also, be sure idle speed is as low as possible

Dave Russell
05-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi Rick,

There was a discussion about this on another thread;
http://www.britishcarforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000922
Maybe you can find some help there.

It all boils down to; even small changes in idle mixture or speed, timing, or fuel octane, can affect it.

There is a rare occurance on some cars where the electrical system can cause run on, if you have an alternator & the wrong type of charge indicator circuit. This is not very likely though.
D

Webb Sledge
05-15-2003, 08:25 PM
What exactly is run on?

waltesefalcon
05-15-2003, 09:48 PM
Webb,

Runon is when you turn your engine off yet it runs for a couple of seconds. It is an endearing or enraging quirk many triumphs tend to have.

Cheers, graemlins/thirsty.gif
Walter

Rick O.
05-16-2003, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the leads. I'll try fiddling with fuel octane.

Rick O.
05-19-2003, 09:42 AM
No more runon after blanking-off the bypass valves on the Strombergs.