PDA

View Full Version : Isky Valve Spring Retainer

ChrisS
12-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Does anyone have a spare aluminum retainer for the A series Isky valve springs? I have 7 good ones and one that has damage that I don't want to reuse. I'm getting a new set but would like to build a spare head. If anyone has one they'd like to part with please let me know. Thanks.

Bugeye58
12-26-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm certain I have some spares, Chris. Let me double check in the morning. I'll pull one from a head if I have to.
Jeff

ChrisS
12-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks Jeff, you have a PM.

Bugeye58
12-27-2006, 03:50 PM
On the way, Chris.
Jeff

ChrisS
12-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks.

JerryB
12-28-2006, 04:42 PM
I would really recommend tossing the old retainers and buying a new set. Even tho you prep and debur the springs correctly the Al retainers are a consumable. Especially with higher spring pressure. I have found that about 40 hours is it even with the light inner springs. For a street car with lower rpm you can get more hours. Cheap investment.

Hap Waldrop
12-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Jerry makes a good point, aluminum retainers are fine, but they do have a lifespan, in fact alot of people are getting away form aluminum retainers theses days and going either back to steel or titanium. If you ever go with a big cam in this motor and 1.5 rockers, I have a special over sized valve spring ( we have a spring pad cutter to enlarge the spring pad on the head) they are bullit-proof.

ChrisS
12-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the heads up. These came out of a low hour head after a catastrophic failure (me) and will be used as a spare. Does anyone have the Isky part # for Ti or steel? The catalog I have only lists the Al; part # SP-007.

JerryB
12-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Does anyone have the Isky part # for Ti or steel? The catalog I have only lists the Al; part # SP-007. """"""

For those small diameter springs thats the only retainer availiable other than the stock pieces.

If you want steel or Ti Hap can fix you up but you have to use the bigger spring also. All the part numbers are classified information.

Hap Waldrop
12-31-2006, 09:21 AM
I've got Titanium for the smaller springs but only a few sets, so I'm hording them for some of my National HP guys. I stock the big springs and my supplier offer alloy or steel for those. maybe we could trade a set of small for big Titanium retainers.