PDA

View Full Version : Transmission rebuild questions (long)

ainadude
03-13-2003, 03:49 PM
I'd like to take care of my Spitfire transmission (single-rail overdrive unit) sometime this spring -- synchros are pretty worn. Coupla issues ...

First, I plan to buy the rebuild kit from the Roadster Factory, pull the unit from my car and have somebody do the actual rebuild and then reinstall it myself with a new clutch kit (I'll look into replacing the rear main seal at the same time). (I inquired about a rebuilt unit from RF and was told it'd be $800 to rebuild my existing unit -- they don't have any cores currently available -- and take at least 12 weeks not counting shipping both ways.) My questions is, can I expect a competent transmission guy to do a credible job on a rebuild? I'm sure I'll have a hard time in Hawaii finding anyone who's ever rebuilt a Triumph transmission and, given the hassle of pulling a transmission from a Spitfire, want the job done right.

OK, second question: Currently, the car shifts well with the exception of reverse I generally end up putting it into third rather than reverse first thing in the morning. As such, I'm wondering what additional parts I'll need to rebuild the linkage. Any guidance in this area would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Ainadude
1976 Spitfire 1500 w/OD

ELTGuy
03-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Check with Moss Motors Sales department.

Roadster Factory caters to the single customer for the most part and doesn't work closely with large orders (i.e. mechanics).

I am sure they can give you contact information for a shop in your area that uses them as a supplier.

Also, there is a decent British Car club in the Honolulu area if I recall. Too lazy to check for their link and I KNOW there are a few Hawaii Spitifre owners on this board.

I am sure you will be able to find a shop that can service your needs, and if this rebuild is not an immediate need, I would talk with them to see who is currently supplying the best rebuild kit these days. Quality varies over time...

just my .02 images/icons/smile.gif

ainadude
03-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Hey Alec,

Guess I could have been more clear in my original post. The tranny upshifts just fine; downshifting is all but impossible without grinding the gears. Hence my desire to rebuild.

I've got some feelers out for a local rebuilder, but no bites yet. I've gotten some advice that to do the rebuild myself isn't beyond the pale and might be preferable to trying to have it done by someone who's never worked on an LBC transmission.

I'll keep you posted, and thanks for the input.

Aloha,
Ainadude

MGTF1250Dave
03-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Aloha Ainadude,

I checked with a few club members and no one has had a gearbox rebuilt commercially. The suggestion I have is call Masa's Foreign Car Service, 841-1563 at 244 Kalihi St. This shop has been in business for several years and provides quality work at fair prices. They service many MG's and Triumphs. If they don't do the work themselves, they probably can recommend a shop to you.

Safety Fast,
Dave

MGTF1250Dave
03-15-2003, 04:17 AM
Aloha Ainadude,

I don't know of a shop in Honolulu that rebuilds gearboxes, but that's because I've never needed one.

There is a club in Honolulu, The British Car Club of Hawaii, and it holds monthly tech sessions to help members maintain/repair their cars. February's session was rebuilding a TR6 gearbox and in November we worked on a Jaguar overdrive. You can check us out at "www.bcch.us". I will see if anyone in the club has a recommendation on a shop for you to use. I'll post a reply here.

Safety Fast,
Dave

piman
03-15-2003, 04:53 AM
Hello Ainadude,
may I ask why you want to rebuild a gearbox that shifts well?
If you cannot select reverse easily that suggest the clutch is dragging and that needs attention, asuming your idle speed is not too high.
One known weakness with the clutch realease fork and shaft assembly is the special tapered bolt that attaches the fork to the shaft is known to break, but the clutch often still works but not correctly.
If you still decide to rebuild it, it is not a difficult box to overhaul, however if you are not quite happy with the synchromesh then perhaps you could, as an alternative, learn to double de-clutch.
Good luck,
Alec graemlins/england.gif

MDCanaday
03-22-2003, 03:05 PM
With the bell housing off and the OD removed this tranny is fairly compact and shipping shouldnt be that $$. If you cant get it done locally, I would suggest Prather Racing 785 836 2265.
Md (mad dog)

RonMacPherson
03-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Don't know if you ever got the tranny done. I'm new here on this forum, but wanted to pass along, in case you're still in need of repairs. Get with Brad Burgess
wildkat445@hawaii.rr.com. Your place repair guy, but great hotrodder and technical expert. Did a rebush on Robert Cowie's MGB differential in a couple of hours at Tuffy's house in the driveway tech session before last(after we finished putting new rear suspension in Tuffy's Riley. He knows his stuff!