PDA

View Full Version : Optically Triggered Ignition Sys ????

pvergon
01-31-2003, 03:32 AM
hi people, I just bought a XR3000 "FireBall" developed by Crane Cams and I was wondering what people think of these mondern ingnition sys ?? do you think they are worth the money ???? anyone who has installed them on a british car ??? well, I do hope that it is compatible with my so called "upgrated TR4A engine", with 87mm liner kit, oversized valves, valve porting, etc. hopefully it wont overheat, but i'll let you know when i start it, if i ever finish it.

Gary Pope
01-31-2003, 10:30 AM
The Crane is a nice system it should perform well for you. I believe they can get quite hot, so you need to place it where cool air can get to it.

pvergon
02-26-2003, 01:39 PM
what coil do you think i should buy with this XR3000 ???? I dont want to spend another $70.00 on the crane coil especially design for this optically trigered distributor sys ... there are plenty of bosch coils in my country that i trust would fit my sys, but i'm not sure if i should ask for anything specific graemlins/thirsty.gif

TypeRboy
02-27-2003, 01:29 AM
For the most part if you are not revving any higher than you used to and your compression ratio is not ultra high , then the coil you had before will work fine. It's all about how long the coil has between firing that dictates how much spark is there each time. ( obviously a higher output coil will have more spark for the same field generating time than a low output coil, but you see what I mean)

The ignition interrupt being optic or points won't affect the coil output, except maybe because the optic triggering is bound to be more evenly spaced than the wobbly old cam and point system, the firing voltage should be stable.

You just need to be sure that the coil is compatible ( internal resisted or not ) with what the new system calls for..

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: TypeRboy ]

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: TypeRboy ]</p>

Trevor Triumph
02-27-2003, 11:26 PM
My wife bought us the 700? Crane Cams electronic ignition. The early Spitfire runs really well. I replaced the original coil with an internal resistor coil and things appear to be cooler under the bonnet. T.T.