PDA

View Full Version : front end rebuild

cheesehead
01-03-2003, 06:38 PM
I'm about to go trough the front suspension on my TR4A. Anyone have experience with poly bushings? I don't race it or rally it, so I'm not looking for high G stuff. Also, who has the best trunions? Roadster Factory, Moss, Victoria Brit? Any front end stories welcome.

MDCanaday
01-05-2003, 12:37 PM
I hear that poly is the way to go, but have yet to re-do mine since the rubber is still ok. Ureathane bushings should not really change any noticeable action of the suspension, only give better feel due to elimiated mushyness.
Before replacing trunions make sure yours are bad. Often I have found that there is one more turn that can be taken , tightening the assembly with out causing a bind. the factory ,having NEW bits to work with only assembled them to an appx. tightness. If one more turn gets you down into new threads without causing a bind in the turning, all you lose is some room inside where excess grease used to sit. One would think from the cost that the new trunions are a good product,I dont know. I ordered some once but they were back ordered so long I gave up & saved $$
I know it sounds crude but its worth a try (unless the steel shoulders are badly worn)
MD(mad dog)

Rick O.
02-01-2003, 10:36 PM
I just rebushed the entire front end on my TR6 in December with urethane. Haven't had the car off jackstands to drive it since (waiting for some new wheels), so I can't report on the changes. However, urethane is much easier to install and is worth it from that angle alone. Just make sure you use plenty of anti-seize to lube them up on the install.I've heard nothing but good experiences from other urethane users.

Last summer when I did the IRS rebushing, I stuck with stock rubber for the diff mounts and uprated rubber for the trailing arms. This was based on a recommendation from Dave at TRF.

I haven't bought any trunnions, but you may want to check Jeff at Little British Car Co.--he's great to deal with and really into LBCs.