PDA

View Full Version : 280I/ TASMIN HEADLIGHTS

12-21-2006, 01:19 PM
When I got this car a few months ago the headlight motor wires were unplugged. The lights were at the up position. After several other projects on this car I have gotten to the headlights. The cluster of 3 wires on the passenger side had melted together. I pulled them apart and the wires themselves are still intact. They still do not go up and down on there own. I have not yet pulled the lights out of the car. I am guessing that I am dealing with a electrical problem not a mechanical one. What is the next step? Replace the relays? I think there are 3.

tr7andtvr
12-21-2006, 01:22 PM
the above post was me.... Did not log in?

hottvr
12-21-2006, 01:53 PM
If you didn't know the lights can be lowered manually with a ratchet and extention from underneath the car. I forgot what size socket it is. The headlight motor was used from TR7 or 8.
Rick

tr7andtvr
12-21-2006, 02:55 PM
They go up and down manually just fine.

My tr7's get stuck down after long periods of sitting. Once I maually move them up and down a couple of times they work great.

The TVR's have other problems.....

TXCoyote
01-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry, missed your post earlier. On mine, a ratchet is not needed there is a knob to raise or lower them easily reachable. The units are the same as a TR7 so the motor and linkage are interchangeable. The same repair procedures apply although I would guess the TVR will be harder to get at. If you have not yet bought or found a copy of Steve Heath's Wedge Bible, you should do so. It is the single best source for Wedgies. I would geuss you have a short if the wires are melted, likely in the motor. Luckily TR7 units are fairly plentiful.