PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4 bonnet gaps

nevets
10-28-2002, 10:02 AM
I'm in the process of restoring my TR4 and one of the things I would like to address are the wide gaps between the bonnet and wings (fenders). I have seen TR4s with tighter gaps and many that are like mine...so wide you can see the rubber pads. The variation is probably a result of Triumph's inconsistent build quality or less than rigorous quality control. I was told this could be addressed by breaking the welds between the inner wings and the front panel behind the grill, then adjusting the gap and rewelding. Sounds pretty major. Are there easier ways to fix this? Maybe better to simply live with it. Any comments? Thanks

MDCanaday
11-01-2002, 01:52 AM
This is fairly minor actually, you must of course have the wings off. Take a 2x4 appx 24 inches long, place it where the wing bolts on, then strike it with a 6lb hammer(carb tool to you stromberg folks) dont over do it!! measure the clearance and repeat on the other side as needed. The upper apron strength is the problem here, and a little massage will put it right, long enough for you to re-install the wings which then hold it all in place some how.... Check for minor collision damage to the front of the aprons under the hinges, this is usually the origin of the problem.
Good luck
mad dog(mark)

nevets
11-01-2002, 09:57 AM
Thanks MDCanaday. If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that I use the hammer to distort the inner-wing in order to close the gap, right? Could I accomplish the same thing by using a long bar clamp with the jaws placed from one inner wing to the other, and then cranking it down to slowly move the inner wings together? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by massaging the apron? Thanks again.

MDCanaday
11-02-2002, 02:25 PM
If you have access to clamps thats a good way to do the same thing , but the clamp can cause more distortion than a properly used 2x4 as it puts more pressure on a smaller area. If you look at the problem from the front of the car the apron assemblys are tipped out at the top due to lack of anything to hold them into position.I would bet money that the factory had a good man on the line doing the same thing prior to wing fitting. Its not as drastic as it sounds, trust me.
mark(mad dog)

nevets
11-04-2002, 10:28 AM
thanks again...as with the hammer method, I would employ wood blocking to distribute the force along the inner wing.