PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Question

OnBlocks
09-24-2002, 01:04 PM
Hello All. Well, I just got my TR6 back from the shop with a complete engine rebuild and it purrs like a kitten. The only annoying thing is now it looks good, runs great, but sits crooked. Either I've put on 400lbs without knowing it or my coil springs are shot on the driver side. I've looked through Victoria British, et al and was wondering if anyone has any experience with and can recommend between the standard, heavy duty, and performance coils? It seems like someone on here said that the performance springs made the ride so stiff that it was uncomfortable, but I may be wrong. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

piman
10-01-2002, 11:36 AM
Hello OnBlocks,

Re uprated springs, it's your choice; I run a 2.5 saloon on 400lb springs (double standard rate) and for me it rides fine and is much more responsive. But, was your car level before the work?, and is front or rear, or both that it is low?. Or even high on the other side? My first instinct would be to check the rear as the springs could have been dislodged if it was jacked up. Springs do break, however, so you will need to check. If so replace both sides and if you go for uprated, replace all otherwise your handling will be adversely affected.
Good luck,
Alec graemlins/hammer.gif

MDCanaday
10-02-2002, 01:10 AM
I dont want to freak you out but check the upper spring mount on the rear, these fatigue and break sometimes suddenly dropping one side down. If this is the case new springs will not help of course. (usually driver side goes first) Some welding and a small brace is in order to put it right.I suggest doing both sides when this has occured as the other side will have stress fractures too.
Good luck
Mark

Cain
10-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Along this same topic, my '71 TR6 leans to the drivers side - it's more evident looking at the rear of the car than the front of the car. I went to pick up both front and rear springs from the local LBC part dealer, but he only had rears in stock. So, I may just put those on and see if it does the trick and not mess with the front springs right now.