PDA

View Full Version : Restoration Question

aholloway
08-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Starting restoration on a 75 TR6 with pretty poor floor pans. Anyone have tips on the best way to replace?

DougR
08-25-2002, 10:22 PM
Congratulations on the beginning of your project! I had a "Fred Flintstone" car,(actually the floors had lots of little holes rusted together) anyway, access to a plasma cutter and a MIG welder helped immeasurably.
Remember that the floors add structural rigidity to the car. Good luck! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MDCanaday
08-27-2002, 12:08 AM
I have done this little job several times, and I guess the biggest question is are your sills sound????? If they are good, breakout the champagne, you got an easy one . If they are not you will soon be up to your arm pits in metal worms.(lordhavemercyonyourass).
If you have just finished the champagne, get out the air chisel and shear off the old pan along the edge, leaving the spotwelds for latter.
When you are done with the sills, be careful around the rear bulkhead, it lips under the pan, dont cut off the lip use a spotweld bit to dril the welds, then finish off with the chisel.
Most of the work is geting the old one out without excess damage to the good metal. When its all out the first of a serries of test fits is next, bear in mind that a little trimming is needed for exact fit. 3m sells a weldthrough primer that should be used to prep fresh steel for welding. good luck
Mark

64Spitfire
08-27-2002, 02:18 AM
I've completed this project twice, both times on Spitfires. I removed the old pans and fitted the new using a few sheet metal screws. Then called a mobile welder to finish the job. It really is not that difficult a job. Good luck

aholloway
08-27-2002, 09:28 PM
Thanks much for the advice. I'll look for the 3M stuff. Started cutting out the pans as the sills are in pretty good shape. I'll keep you posted.

BobS
11-17-2002, 10:52 PM
If you have not found the 3M weld through primer yet, you can get it at most welding supply places.
Bob