PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4a Trouble spots?

J. Christian
05-15-2002, 05:25 PM
I am hoping to look at a 67 TR4a this weekend, and I would like to know what some of the major trouble areas for these cars are. More specifically, what are the areas that I should be most concerned about rust? I don't know much about the IRS on these cars- what should I be looking for? Any other advice would be most appreciated.

SoCal
05-18-2002, 12:27 PM
I've got a 63 TR4 so I'm not familiar with the IRS either, but one trouble spot I've read about is on the front suspension where the lower wishbones mount to the frame. It's not welded like earlier TRs but bolted through the frame to allow better front end alignment. The articles have said to check for rust (what else) on the frame in this area. Good luck on your search..

Lou Metelko
05-19-2002, 12:41 AM
The spot to check for rust or poor repairs is where the trailing arms attach to the frame. Also jack up the back axle and grab the rear wheel at 9 and 3 to see if any play is in the rear hubs. Rebuilt hubs are available from TRF at about $250 each. With the rear axle up slide under to be sure the rear diff is bolted securely to the frame (right front is the first to break).