PDA

View Full Version : TR6 cooling a TR6

Rob DeScherer
03-18-2002, 11:49 AM
Other than adding and oil cooler, is there anything that can be done to help a TR6 engine stay cool? I know that these cars are known for running hot. Any ideas?

aeronca65t
03-19-2002, 12:33 PM
I read somewhere that there is an issue with the crossover reference chart for TR-6 vs TR-7 thermostats. Some models require a "wiggle-pin" and others don't (and if you mix them up, it can cause a slightly higher engine temp in some models). Also, position of the bleed hole/wiggle pin makes a difference (for example, 12:00 vs, 6:00 in the opening). I'm not a Triumph guy (anymore), but I'd guess I saw this on VTR.ORG

BTW, in my car (an MG, but also in NJ) I usually run a 160 degree thermostat in Summer. Car deals with Friday afternoon Parkway traffic no problem.

RHWins
04-08-2002, 01:05 AM
Do you have an overheating problem, or are you just anticipating one? Cowling around the fan helps push or pull more air through. A chin spoiler creates a low pressure area behind it, which is below and behind the radiator, and pulls air away from the back of the rad.

Retarding the advance a couple of degrees may also help.

When these engines get hot, it helps to run the heater because the heater core is a small radiator. "Water wetter" claims to help, but maybe you hae a radiator that has some of its core, clogged up, so flush it. If yor drive in a hot climate, consider going to an aluminum radiator, they are available at racing dealers.

A raised lip in front of the louvers will also create a low pressure area behind it,drawing air from the engine compartment.

TerrierCarrier
04-23-2002, 03:09 AM
Rob,
Does your car still have the shroud in front of the radiator? They were originally made of a heavy cardboard like material that had a lifetime of about 3 rainstorms. I re-installed one on mine and my overheating problems went away, even in Southern California traffic.

Rob DeScherer
04-23-2002, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TerrierCarrier:
Rob,
Does your car still have the shroud in front of the radiator? They were originally made of a heavy cardboard like material that had a lifetime of about 3 rainstorms. I re-installed one on mine and my overheating problems went away, even in Southern California traffic.<hr></blockquote>

I have replaced the shroud with a brand new one. I think that I will probably change to a 160 degree thermostat. I have had a TR7 and TR4A in the past that both had cooling problems, and I just don't want to have the same with my TR6 which I have spent the past 1.5 years making ready. I will add an oil cooler next winter when more funds are available.