PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Request for more advice on a TR-6 clutch replacement

chubahkah
02-19-2002, 10:23 AM
? Any advice on how important it is to re-surface the flywheel when replacing the clutch? On a similar note, what about the pilot bearing located in the end of the crank, should it be repalced as a matter of course? - Thanks - Chubahkah

66 fhc
02-19-2002, 10:05 PM
My experence has been you always do flywheel and piolet bearings along with the throwout bearing.Murphys law usually applies in these cases. You don't want to have to repull the trannie for relativly inexpensive stuff. While you're at it check the u-joints on the drive shaft. Nothing worse than pole vaulting down the freeway. graemlins/hammer.gif

Basil
02-20-2002, 01:06 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 66 fhc:
My experence has been you always do flywheel and piolet bearings along with the throwout bearing.Murphys law usually applies in these cases. You don't want to have to repull the trannie for relativly inexpensive stuff. While you're at it check the u-joints on the drive shaft. Nothing worse than pole vaulting down the freeway. graemlins/hammer.gif <hr></blockquote>

I guess there are different schools of thought on this. Personally, I have never resurfaced a flywheel when chaning a clutch unless it was scored (like the clutch wore down to the rivets and scored it). I did resurface the one on my Spitfire once when I first did a rebuilt, but it had gouges dug into it as I recall. Definitely agree on the T/O bearing. Pilot bearings? probably not a bad idea unless you know for sure they are recent. Keep in mind, I'm cheap images/icons/grin.gif

Basil

66 fhc
02-21-2002, 03:00 AM
It's always a judgment call. If it looks really good,the flywheel, like no gouges or discoloring from being overheated if the clutch was slipping for a long time and it's true with a straight edge across the face, I might skip it also.
graemlins/devilgrin.gif Murphy graemlins/angel.gif

triumphant
02-24-2002, 01:50 AM
As has been said already, just take a good look at it. If its not gouged or have any discolored "hot spots" (dark bluish areas), then it probably not necessary to resurface. It's not that it would hurt anything to do so, but why spend the money unless you know there's a problem? I would always, as a minimum however replace BOTH clutch pieces and the T/O bearing just as a matter of principal. You might also consider looking at the Clutch Master and Slave cylindars while you're at it...if they look good inside, at least put new rubber kits in them.

Cheers,
Larry
78 Spitfire! graemlins/crazy.gif