PDA

View Full Version : Kent Cams

Basil
09-23-2001, 03:56 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Kent Cams? I'm about to drop in a Kent Cam into my 78 Spit 1500. The cam, I think, has a lift od 470, so what sort of performance gains can I expect? Anyone ever use of of these cams in a Spit?

Basil

Mojo
10-02-2001, 03:22 AM
It's the only aftermarket cam that I've seen so far.. Let me know how it performs!

Trevor Triumph
10-26-2001, 01:46 AM
Basil, again on this cam business... I imagine you have the cam by now. BUT Ted S. at TSI automotive talked about two cams for
Spits. One was a "B" cam that has about the lift and duration of the Kent cam and there was a 1275 that, if I remember was even more lumpy that the B or Kent cam. Check out his web site: <tsimportedautomotive.com>. My wife and I have bought some parts and apparel from him and he seems knowledgeable and prices seem fair. Trevor

Basil
10-26-2001, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Trevor Triumph:
Basil, again on this cam business... I imagine you have the cam by now. BUT Ted S. at TSI automotive talked about two cams for
Spits. One was a "B" cam that has about the lift and duration of the Kent cam and there was a 1275 that, if I remember was even more lumpy that the B or Kent cam. Check out his web site: <tsimportedautomotive.com>. My wife and I have bought some parts and apparel from him and he seems knowledgeable and prices seem fair. Trevor

Thanks. I'll check him out. Yes, I do have my cam now. It is supposed to be a "hot" street cam, but not really a race cam. That tell me it will give me a lot more at mid-high range but still idle reasonably smooth.

Cy

rjhco
12-17-2001, 12:12 AM
Howdy from Texas to the Triumph group. I am an Austin Healey owner (Rallye car)and noticed the thread on camshafts. Elgin Cams in Redwood City, CA (http://www.elgincams.com) grinds cams for Triumphs of all types.

No financial interest, etc. He grinds very nice cams for the Austin Healeys. Very informative site. It is worthwhile to read his paper on camshafts so that you have some idea of what you are doing to your engine and what to expect!

Regards to all. BTW, when is the Texas Hill country drive/rallye scheduled during spring 2002?

Jim Hockert
BJ8 Rallye
Dallas, TX

Basil
12-17-2001, 12:30 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by rjhco:
Howdy from Texas to the Triumph group. I am an Austin Healey owner (Rallye car)and noticed the thread on camshafts. Elgin Cams in Redwood City, CA (http://www.elgincams.com) grinds cams for Triumphs of all types.

No financial interest, etc. He grinds very nice cams for the Austin Healeys. Very informative site. It is worthwhile to read his paper on camshafts so that you have some idea of what you are doing to your engine and what to expect!

Regards to all. BTW, when is the Texas Hill country drive/rallye scheduled during spring 2002?

Jim Hockert
BJ8 Rallye
Dallas, TX<hr></blockquote>

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum! I almost wish I hadn't already bought my cam now! Oh well, I'm sure the Kent cam will do fine (I'm not into racing, just like to go a little faster and louder graemlins/crazyeyes.gif (I actually have to wear ear plugs when I drive my Spit graemlins/crazy.gif

This elgin cams place sounds like amaybe a web site I should add to our forum links?

Cheers,
Basil graemlins/computer.gif

RonMacPherson
12-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Just a Ditto for recommending Elgin cams. He's sharp, backs his work up and will spend time working with each customer to get them the best cam for their needs, rather than having the customer adapt to a "formula" cam. And he used to be alot cheaper than Kent.

Brosky
12-31-2007, 09:12 AM
I posted the Elgin Cams link in the last thread about cams. I found them by accident, but will definitely be talking to them in the spring.

Another good spot with specs is Colt Cams.

http://www.coltcams.com/container.html

Go to the Profiles, British, Triumph and very good info there. You can skip the Intro.

2wrench
01-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Howdy from Texas to the Triumph group. I am an Austin Healey owner (Rallye car)and noticed the thread on camshafts. Elgin Cams in Redwood City, CA (http://www.elgincams.com) grinds cams for Triumphs of all types.&lt;p&gt;No financial interest, etc. He grinds very nice cams for the Austin Healeys. Very informative site. It is worthwhile to read his paper on camshafts so that you have some idea of what you are doing to your engine and what to expect!&lt;p&gt;Regards to all. BTW, when is the Texas Hill country drive/rallye scheduled during spring 2002?&lt;p&gt;Jim Hockert
BJ8 Rallye
Dallas, TX

Jim, just a note that Elgin Cams' website shows their
address to be in Santa Rosa, California. Santa Rosa is
about 80 miles north of Redwood City. I am excited to
hear of them and will be contacting them. Redwood City is
actually closer to where I live, so I was just a bit
disappointed to learn they are in Santa Rosa; but, it is
relatvely close to me, just the same -- a couple hours or
so.

Thanks,