PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A timing chain "slap" in TR4a

hlub34a
01-15-2001, 01:39 AM
I have a 67 4a that developed a curious noise at idle once it reaches operating temperature. My mechanic "stethoscope" isolated the noise to the front of the engine. When engine speed is raised, the noise disappears. Engine has about 97K, is this a symptom of a loose timing chain?

------------------

kcadams2
01-16-2001, 11:27 PM
hlub
Sounds like you have a badly worn timing chain. If you dont replace it the next symptom will be an oil leak at the front of the engine from under the grease on the timing cover where the chain tensioner wears a hole inn the sheet metal cover. Probably no other damage unless the chain breaks completely !!! (mabe some gear wear)
Good luck
Ken

Basil
01-17-2001, 11:36 AM
Hey KC, where in Albuquerque are you located?

Alreadyinuse
05-09-2007, 05:53 PM
More likely a busted timing chain tensioner, IMO. BTDT.

PeterK
05-09-2007, 06:23 PM
I agree with Randall. There's a lot of room between even the loosest chain and the cover so that it wouldn't "slap."

But the tensioner rides directly in contact with the chain and the chain will wear two grooves right through the tensioner. And then the tensioner wears right through timing cover on the passenger side.

Pull that puppy. Mark the position of both gears and replace, minimally, the chain and tensioner. But optimally both gears as well. There's a guy on ebay selling complete kits for $89, ebay id is trguru. You'll also need a gasket and front seal unless trguru has that too.

If you need pictures, I just did this this past weekend on my 3A.

TRclassic3
05-11-2007, 07:46 AM
PeterK,
I'd like to have those pics. Sent you a PM.
Thanks

YankeeTR
05-11-2007, 10:48 AM
If you get the noise at idle but it goes away when the revs increase it MAY be a loose gear on the oil pump driveshaft. Tractor engines are known for this. The woodruff keyway wears and allows the gear to 'rattle'...I had this noise on TS 74011 L and nobody could figure it out. I drove the car for 11 years with out repairing it. BUT if the woodruff key breaks you will loose oil pressure and spark...

The noise the loose gear makes mimics a piston pin rattle almost exactly.

It's worth looking into. You would need to remove the oil pump because , I think, the shaft pulls out from the bottom of the engine.