PDA

View Full Version : My son is a runner!

Simon TR4a
10-02-2006, 12:31 PM
About 18 months ago he started exercising to get in better shape for soccer and to lose weight.
He has one of those personalities that when he gets an idea he really goes at it....
By last spring he had lost 40 lbs, from 245 down to 205, and looked pretty good when he left to visit my daughter in Africa. She is a nationally ranked cyclist (4th. in the country), and he did some training on her husbands bike, doing 50 kilometers or 30 miles a day. They live at 5,000 feet, same as Denver roughly, so he was pretty fit 6 weeks later when he came back.
He started running as he couldn't afford a proper racing bike, and gradually increased his distance till 3 weeks ago he was doing 6 kms (3.7 miles) and 12kms. on alternating days. He announced he was entering the Toronto marathon on October 15th. and we bought him some proper shoes. in the last 10 days he has run 23kms twice and 29kms once.
He now weighs 170lbs before he runs, but after the long runs only 163lbs.Considering he drinks water and eats power bars as he goes that's scary.
A full marathon distance is 42.2 kms, 26 miles 385 yards, and I'm starting to think he can do it!
Simon (a proud father.)

GB1
10-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Wow, that is great. I wish him much sucess.

Patrick

jayhawk
10-02-2006, 01:11 PM
That's really quite an accomplishment! Rare in Western lifestyles. He must feel a lot better. Hope he is able to continue to maintain the weight loss and has adopted some new eating practices along the way, too. Once the knees go bad it's hard to prevent the ol' weight gain.

lawguy
10-02-2006, 04:22 PM
That is a great transformation and one I have more than a passing familiarity with.

Three years ago, I weighed 280# (6'3") and had a few of the "normal" effects of that weight- frequent heartburn, borderline blood pressure, out of breath climbing the one flight of stairs to my office, etc. That horrible condition, and I was only 32. When I was 29, I even thought I was having a heart attack- thankfully, it was massive GERD.

I got fed up (so to speak) and started controlling my food intake. I added walking and weight training as exercise. In 10 months (May 2004 to March 2005) I lost 88#- getting to 192#. I have kept it off, but since stabilized in the 200 to 205# range- fine for my height and build.

About 9 months ago, I started transitioning from walking to running. At first, I ran the last 1/4 mile of my daily 4 mile walk. Since then, I have pushed back the starting point for my run so that I now run the whole 4 miles...and have lengthened out so I run 4 to 6 miles- 5 days a week.

Just last week, a colleague of mine proposed that a group from my firm run the mini marathon in Indy (500 Festival) next spring. I officially signed up today, so I'll be running the the 13.1 miles (a little over 21 kms) next May. Nothing quite like training over the winter in Northern Indiana.

For me, to even get to the point where I could consider running 13.1 miles is wild. Who knows- the Chicago Marathon next fall? We'll see.

I say congrats to your son from a guy who has a little bit of an idea what this is about.

DrEntropy
10-02-2006, 04:48 PM
This is indeed inspiring and informative. Simon: you've reason to be proud of a kid who grabs reality by th' shorts like that! Congrats.

James: [ QUOTE ]
For me, to even get to the point where I could consider running 13.1 miles is wild. Who knows- the Chicago Marathon next fall? We'll see.

[/ QUOTE ]

DO keep us up on this "hare-brained" scheme! Sign up fer it! What a reward for the persistance it must have taken for you to get to where you are. I'm a "type-A" but with the willpower of a rat. Your "steady on" attatude is an amazement. Inspirational. Wish I could emulate it.

...'scuse me, as I need to walk to th' fridge fer 'nother CAB... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

weewillie
10-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Is he playing the worlds greatest game?

DrEntropy
10-02-2006, 05:31 PM
"GOAL!"

hottvr
10-02-2006, 06:29 PM
You mean hockey, right??

aeronca65t
10-02-2006, 06:31 PM
That is excellent, Simon.

I am down 40 lbs since Winter, to to a decent 190 lbs (6'1") and I feel much better.

25 years ago, the guy that hired me at my present job smoked about two packs of cigarettes during the interview and was quite overweight. A few weeks ago, the same guy (now in his early 60s and president of our college) has quit smoking and is quite fit. He just ran the NY Half-Marathon.

It's very possible to live a healthier lifestyle and the rewards are quickly apparent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DrEntropy
10-02-2006, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You mean hockey, right??

[/ QUOTE ]

"Football!"

...soccer here inna Colonies. Though golf is the "game" referred to in the title.

tony barnhill
10-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Before she became a mom, my daughter & her husband did marathons - Chicago, New York, Washington

One thing they did was work up to real long runs (about 20 miles) but they never did a ful marathon in practice.

sideache
10-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Inspiring - thanks

weewillie
10-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Now tony ,did they run from Chicago to NY and then Washington or /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

tony barnhill
10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif hehehehehehe

I actually think I also ran the New York...had breakfast & met her a mile 7...then scurried down to mile 17...then ran all way down 5th Ave (have you ever tried to get a cab on 5th Ave?) to meet her at finish line.