PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Garage Beautification Project Completed

sammyb
09-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Where's the Advil?!?!?!

(Picture of before attached here (actually it's after removing all the equipment and pressure washing the floor, it was really dirty before!!!)...next is the after.)

I started and completed my garage clean-up and beautification project. I've always wanted to epoxy my garage floor, so I finally did it!

It essentially took me three days of cleaning, acid etching and painting. It's curing right now, so all the cars are outside. Luckily the weather has been great.

I did all the work myself. I'm basically the worst cosmetic guy in the world, so even though there's some inconsistency in the amount of gloss in different areas, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. The concrete was put in when the house was built in 1987, and had tons of paint and oil spills.

I even managed to ruin a few posters and break a picture frame when the pressure washer wind gusts pulled them right off the walls!

sammyb
09-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Now after.

On tuesday I can bring the cars back in!!!

SilentUnicorn
09-30-2006, 06:02 PM
wow! looks great!

mark

drooartz
09-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Boy, that looks nice. Someday I'll have to follow your example. you won't even want to put cars on that nice, clean floor now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Basil
09-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Looks great! Garage makeover is one my list of things to do before I die also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steve_S
09-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Good job! I don't know how I ever did without an epoxy floor. You're gonna love it!

DART
09-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Great job Sammy, looks clean enough to eat off of....but none of the things in that nasty thread jbird started. Guess you will have to change the pic on your posts now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

weewillie
09-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Looks great Sam wish mine looked like that, of course I would have to build 4 walls and a roof first

tony barnhill
09-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Beautiful, Sammy...your next job is on the road...Gurley, alabama to be exact! hehehehe

Phireman
09-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Looks very nice.

I'd like to have that third bay.

sammyb
09-30-2006, 10:02 PM
The garage is definitely a "20 Footer." Since the concrete was old, it had tons of chips and divots. I tried filling them, but when I went to paint, the roller essentially pulled all the filler chunks right out. (The epoxy is so thick and sticky.)

The great thing about the epoxy paint is that it actually makes it easier to deal with oil spills.

And the third bay is great -- especially because it enables one to park a LBC in between, so it's essentially a four-car garage.

Tony, I'd be happy to help, provided I never have to use a roller again. My back is KILLING me. Being 6'4" is not great when it comes to standard-length handles.

jayhawk
09-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Very nice! Now those little triumph leaks will stand up nicely on that pretty sealed floor! I intend to do the same-- anything other than the roller a problem?

R6MGS
10-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Wow...Even the before pic puts my garage to shame.....

ecurie_ecosse
10-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Mine too!!
Nice job Sammy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Stuart.

jlaird
10-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Just checked my garage, discusting.

Only comment is that a bit of Roundup will take care of those weeds in the drive and will not bother your back. Ask me how I know. Always keep a sprayer of roundup handy.

weewillie
10-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Geez Jack if I didn't keep my weeds I wouldn't have a cushion when I am lying under the car on the driveway

jlaird
10-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Tell that to the wife. hehe.

Oh yea, what product did you use on that beautiful floor?

Steve
10-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Sammy, that looks great.....nice job. I'd be interested to learn how the floor paint holds up. My dream is to move to a house with a nice, newly-poured garage floor and apply paint to it.

sammyb
10-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I hit the weeds with Roundup the day before -- and they hadn't quite died yet. Couldn't wait for the weeds to die before starting the project.

I used Griot's Garage Epoxy. I got it for $21 per gallon at their "Garage Sale" event, and I used 5 gallons (actually more like 4 gallons...some went to waste.)

The whole process is pretty back breaking!

My guess is that most people in this forum would have the same issues that I had -- meaning it took me hours upon hours just to get all the crap out of the garage. Lots of tools, compressors, oil change stuff, garbage, rags, etc...

Then cleaning the floor was a pain. Hours of scrubbing with degreaser and power washing.

The acid etching was also painful. You pour this toxic junk on the ground and use a scrub brush to work it in, then rinse. After the whole acid etching, you have to power wash again.

So the whole process was:
-Remove junk
-Sweep and Vacuum (This took forever!)
-Use degreaser on oil/grease spots and paint stripper on paint splatters
-Power Wash
-Acid Etch/scrub
-Power Wash
-Apply first coat
-Wait 12 hours
-Apply second coat
-wait 4 days for complete curing.

anthony7777
10-01-2006, 11:56 AM
sammyb,"EXCELLENT" love the third bay! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

JamesWilson
10-02-2006, 06:50 AM
Very nice, indeed.

So which car will be the first to mark its territory? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

sammyb
10-02-2006, 04:58 PM
The TR3 has already marked its temporary territory outside...I think it will be first to mark it inside. Interestingly, I'm at a weird point where I don't have many "old" cars. I have the TR3, but then its the '86 Ferrari and '86 Dodge, neither of which leak. The only other car in the garage is the 2002 Corvette, which thankfully doesn't leak either. The Miata is on the side, but at 1991 vintage, it really doesn't leak.

I guess I'll have to borrow my dad's Elan or Franklin -- they're both great leakers!!!

DrEntropy
10-02-2006, 05:13 PM
hmmm... Your dad's Elan can be made NOT to leak, Sammy. I've done it. Just leave it sitting static in the garage for five years. *PRESTO!* no more spots! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

...seriously: With proper care on reassembly a rebuilt Elan is as dry as any Toyota. My friends' driveways are a testament to this.

I try to be a courteous friend and visitor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

anthony7777
10-02-2006, 05:23 PM
sammyb, i do trully love the third bay and the place looks great! but ya got it all wrong, the way i sees it in order to make room for your lbc-tr3 youll havta put the ferrari in the living room makes a nice coffe table/conversation piece. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy
10-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Awright, Ant'ny... he needs to ~SELL~ th' Ferutzi (no place for 'im to actually USE it to capacity anyhow) and drive th' wheels off'n th' TR-bloody-3 so's to never need to actually put it inna garage.

Problem solved.

anthony7777
10-02-2006, 06:11 PM
doc, interesting option! but think about it, theres so many interesting patterns and colors for drapes and curtains that would match the "ferutzi" splendidly, think candleobra! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

DrEntropy
10-02-2006, 06:19 PM
eeewwww!!! They're ~art~, admittedly... but NOT ~furniture~!!!

sammyb
10-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Fellas,
There's plenty of room for both the Ferrari and the TR3. They sit next to each other. The Dodge goes in the center and the Corvette on the end. Four cars fit easily in this garage. I move the Dodge out and pull the TR3 from between the Dodge and Ferrari. I've had 5 cars in there, but that's really SQUEEZING with no room to work!!!

sideache
10-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Looks great. I did my garage this summer - man! what a difference it makes.

jlaird
10-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Can we see it with the cars in it and the orental rugs and such??

tony barnhill
10-03-2006, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and the orental rugs and such

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehehe...I bought 6 for my garage last week...am going through Dalton, Georgia next week when I go to pick up the factory hardtop I just bought....plan on stopping by the factory to buy some more (need them on each saide of every car).

jlaird
10-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Tony you must have really cleaned out. When I was up there there was not really room to get between the cars much less get in one. Shoot, there were so many cars in there there was no room to work. It was really impressing.

tony barnhill
10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Jack - wait till you see it...we start shingling the 1400 addition tomorrow....total square footage is up to 3480 on first floor not including the new little shed we attached to it for my lawnmower & associated tools.

DART
10-03-2006, 11:25 PM
pics pics pics pics

JamesWilson
10-04-2006, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
pics pics pics pics

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder... maybe the BCF's Member's Cars (http://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/photopost/) section ought to have a category for garage photos????

tony barnhill
10-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Follow along with my "garage antics" as Jerri calls them:

http://www.theautoist.com/garage-mahal.htm

Steve_S
10-04-2006, 11:09 AM
I have MG owners' garages on my web site here: http://www.mgnuts.com/mg/garages

Feel free to send your photos over!

DrEntropy
10-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Not gonna show ya mine! Nuh-uh! Not until after I ~find~ the alleged Elan in here somewhere buried under a pile of various 'n sundry OTHER bits: some saw-horses, carpeting, packing materials, MGB pieces and upholstery... there's likely things in that pile worth MILLIONS by now! Yeah, right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

sideache
10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Tony, you are living my dream - that garage is awesome!

sammyb
10-05-2006, 12:24 AM
The funny thing is that I actually have a real oriental rug in the garage. It's right in front of the bench -- yup, where I drop grease and oil on it. It was my wife's grandparent's, and it was really filthy from dust and pet fur, so I threw it in the garage. Finally I just rolled it out and used it. I'm not a rug guy, so I don't really know much about it, other than my wife says "y'know, this is probably too nice to be in your garage."

I'll snap some pix of the cars in there when I get the Ferrari back from the painter.

tony barnhill
10-05-2006, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have MG owners' garages on my web site here: http://www.mgnuts.com/mg/garages<br />
[/ QUOTE ]

Just spent some time over there, Steve...nice work! There are a few tips in it I can use in the Garage-Mahal.

Basil
10-05-2006, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pics pics pics pics

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder... maybe the BCF's Member's Cars (http://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/photopost/) section ought to have a category for garage photos????

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than duplicate what Steve_S has done, maybe he wouldn't mind if I added a link to his site in our Members' Sites forum? Steve?

DART
10-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Steve_S - that's a nice collection of garage pics, most interesting (to me) is the chicken house and all those cars gathering patina. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif