PDA

View Full Version : Where is everybody? (.... in the world)

JamesWilson
09-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Where is everybody?

The question was raised on the Healey Forum of how many BCF members might be able to respond from near a British member.

A little analysis using member profile data shows:

Country, Number of members
USA, 1392
UK, 347
Canada, 344
Australia, 120
England, 91 (note these are included in the UK)
Holland, 47
Germany, 43
Sweden, 39
France, 33
New Zealand, 29
Scotland, 24 (note these are included in the UK)
Belgium, 21
Norway, 21
Ireland, 14
Denmark, 12
Wales, 10 (note these are included in the UK)
Italy, 8
Spain, 8
Finland, 7
Switzerland, 7
Poland, 5
Russia, 4
Austria, 3
Bulgaria, 3
Estonia, 3
Greece, 3
Luxembourg, 3
Northern Ireland, 3 (note these are included in the UK)
India, 2
Lithuania, 2
Hungary, 1
Macedonia, 1
Mexico, 1
Romania, 1
Slovenia, 1
Ukraine, 1

This likely under-estimates the numbers of US and Canadian members, who often simply put in city, state/province locations without a country. And some countries seemed to have a lot of members until it was seen that they shared names with American states (Mexico lost 23 of its apparent 24 members to New Mexico, India lost 63 of its 65 to Indiana and even the UK lost a few to Milwaukee, and a few New Englanders that were initially mistaken for proper Englishmen.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

The biggest mis-count were all the Australians Russians and Austrians also picked up in searching for members from the US.... they've been sent home and not double counted as Americans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Thought this might be interesting more generally....

kennypinkerton
09-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Wow... I wish I had that kind of time on my hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

JamesWilson
09-28-2006, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow... I wish I had that kind of time on my hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really, but its almost 2:30 am and I've been amused by playing with it for the past couple hours... maybe its a cure for insomnia?

kennypinkerton
09-28-2006, 08:31 PM
hehehehehe - I've done asmuch or worse before. I stayed up all night one time tracing links and reading stories about electromagnetic railguns, and other such oddball things.

JamesWilson
09-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Just realized I'd forgotten Portugal! Will those 3 members ever forgive me?

This after looking for Iceland, Leichtenstein, Latvia, Luxembourg, Andorra, San Marino, Slovakia, Cyprus, Crete, Malta, Macedonia (1 member), Montenegro, Beloruss, and a few others.... (all without BCF members resident /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

I think I remembered most of the European countries, though the break up of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia has create a lot more to remember (or forget....)

jaybird
09-28-2006, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really, but its almost 2:30 am and I've been amused by playing with it for the past couple hours... maybe its a cure for insomnia?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously not James...

coldplugs
09-28-2006, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...a few New Englanders ... were initially mistaken for proper Englishmen....

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened once before back in the mid to late 1700's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Interesting analysis. I thought we had a couple of people from Portugal(?)

JamesWilson
09-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Opps.

Just found another 3 UK members hiding under Britain... so that should be 350 for the UK.

On the Healey forum I'd guesstimated the UK had between 300 and 400 members a little earlier....

Yawn.... time to go sleep.

DrEntropy
09-29-2006, 06:52 AM
This puts a spin on "counting sheep" fer sure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

jsneddon
09-29-2006, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This puts a spin on "counting sheep" fer sure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

BAAAAAA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rulle7
01-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Does a Swede in Japan count as being a member from Japan or Sweden ... ?

bugimike
01-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Maybe locations should be listed by long. and lat.?

bugimike
01-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Is this a compilation of actual locations or places of origin. If the latter, add 1 to Cyprus for me!

Tinster
01-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Sir James,

I was wondering if there might perhaps
be a member in Puerto Rico for you to
add to your list??

Tinster

JamesWilson
01-17-2007, 04:57 AM
Is this a compilation of actual locations or places of origin. If the latter, add 1 to Cyprus for me!

Its location reported in the member profile. Under the old forum it was possible to do searches, and used to do this once in a while to see where people were, how many of each Marque were on the forum and such-like time wasting, hopefully sleep inducing efforts.

It was really interesting and I suppose it could be pretty useful but the raw data was really messy.

JamesWilson
01-17-2007, 05:05 AM
I was wondering if there might perhaps
be a member in Puerto Rico for you to add to your list??

That's an interesting proposition.

On reflection, I can't recall if I looked for members in Central or South America. I know I didn't search for African members- seemed pretty unlikely outside of South Africa and maybe Egypt or Morocco....

I know I didn't even attempt a state by state breakdown, saving that for another sleepless evening. I'm not sure where I'd put PR, probably with the US if I remembered it.

Just a diversion for a sleepless night....

Maybe if the search facility is revived I can play with it some more.