PDA

View Full Version : Aborted Landing

Basil
09-25-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm pretty sure I'd need a change of certain under-garments after this:
Aborted Airbus Landing (http://www.videosift.com/story.php?id=12192&where=index)

Steve_S
09-25-2006, 09:48 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

lesingepsycho
09-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Now THAT'S a crosswind!

DART
09-25-2006, 10:03 AM
OMG- no wonder they took it around. Ask your son about this hairy cross wind, Basil.

aeronca65t
09-25-2006, 10:16 AM
That's the way the Aeronca looks with a 10 mph crosswind. But since I'm only going about 35 mph, it's no big deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Isn't there a big military transport (C5-A?) with all steerable landing gear? I think it can land with no tire scuffing even if the plane is up to about 20 degrees "off the line".

Basil
09-25-2006, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Isn't there a big military transport (C5-A?) with all steerable landing gear? I think it can land with no tire scuffing even if the plane is up to about 20 degrees "off the line".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have heard that also.

swift6
09-25-2006, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's the way the Aeronca looks with a 10 mph crosswind. But since I'm only going about 35 mph, it's no big deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about the C5 being able to do that (could be, just not sure) but the B-52 definitely does. The pilots can land looking out the side window of the cockpit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vping
09-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Quick little story.

My mother got her flying license out of Repbulic airport about 25-30 years ago. She had a bunch of buddies who owned their own planes and we used to borrow them for weekend jaunts. One time we left Republic to head off to Ct. in winter. On approach you could see the runway was icy. As she touches down, the plane starts to bounce off the runway, several times and would'nt stop. We were headed for the end of the runway and no time to abort/pull up. She took this wheel thingy that was between the seats (official name?) and spun it forward. Cessna made a hard right and crashed into a snow bank. She bent the prop pushed the engine cover in and broke of one of the fenders covering the wheel. She said she looked over at me and I was white as a ghost. I was I think 10 or 11 at the time. I'll never forget that one.

DrEntropy
09-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Trim tab.

C-5's are frightening enuff to ~watch~ as they "crab" down a runway... being aboard one and doing it is harrowing indeed. That landing gear steering thingie is diabolical. <shudder>

DrEntropy
09-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Trim tab? Flaps?.

C-5's are frightening enuff to ~watch~ as they "crab" down a runway... being aboard one and doing it is harrowing indeed. That landing gear steering thingie is diabolical. <shudder>

mailbox
09-25-2006, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Trim tab? Flaps?.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Head between legs. Kiss butt goodbye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SilentUnicorn
09-26-2006, 06:14 PM
i liked the search tags...Airplane, Landing, Crosswinds, Scary.
Cheers to the pilot

mark

JamesWilson
09-26-2006, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cheers to the pilot

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think a good, strong drink or two would be in order after that.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

WhatsThatNoise
09-29-2006, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My instructor started screaming at me once, after what I thought was a reasonably decent cross wind landing, where I tried to "slip it in" for the first time.

Heck....I had 2 of the 3 wheels on the runway almost the whole way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He said to never try and impress him again w/ my flying skill because......."You don't have any"

(I switched instructors after that)

JamesWilson
09-29-2006, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heck....I had 2 of the 3 wheels on the runway almost the whole way.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif
.... it wasn't the same two for the whole distance, was it?

WhatsThatNoise
09-29-2006, 06:12 AM
Landed w/ the left one off.....

Then the right one went off later....But, only for a little bit.

It's hard to concentrate w/ somebody yelling all the time.

By comparison....It's so nice and peaceful in a race-car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

DrEntropy
09-29-2006, 06:20 AM
We used to fly "Ceznich"-150's outta "Beaver County International"... the strip was grass back then and had a li'l "whooptie" dip in the middle. Those were the days. I went over there last time I was "home" and the change amazed me.

WhatsThatNoise
09-29-2006, 06:33 AM
I only flew into Butler & Zelienople (took lessons at Grove City)
Never did get my private license.

Ended up spending my Citabria money on an Elva. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy
09-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Funny aside: My first ride in an F-4 (out of Thailand, over "bad guy" territory) the pilot knew it was my first... on the wat to the target he aasked: "Ever do one'a these?!" as he slapped the stick and put it into a roll... I was gigglin' my arse off and replied:"Well I been wrung out in a Citabria at 16, so yup. Do it again!"... Him:"oh. Nevermind."

The rest of the mission was "normal." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WhatsThatNoise
09-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Guy in Zelienople was taking people for rides in his NEW Yak...

That is until someone puked all over him.

DrEntropy
09-29-2006, 07:03 AM
Number One Rule for a ride in someone else's aircraft: "If you hurl in my airplane, you're gonna CLEAN it after we land... and to *my* satisfaction."

Watching a Navy F-18 pilot wring out an initially arrogant Matt Lauer was a joy. I expected "Katie's" 'gut' reaction tho.