PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Swich replacement

R6MGS
09-23-2006, 09:18 PM
I am seriously considering a truck....The only issue with it is that someone broke off the upper tab of the ignition switch....still works fine, but it's a bit of a pain to start without a tab to push against. Since my mechanic isn't reachable on Sundays....or Saturday nights I was wondering if anyone had a ball park figure on how much this might cost to have it replaced....Unless anyone has any other ideas to make a new tab?

jessebogan
09-23-2006, 10:56 PM
GM truck? The replacement is pretty straightforward. If I recall correctly, the steering wheel comes off, and there is a plate that gets pushed down (cheap special tool) and the switch comes out. If you have a tame locksmith, they can do it even faster.

R6MGS
09-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Yup, 2000 GMC Sonoma....Thanks, would this be something I could do myself? How do u remove an air bag equiped steering wheel?

weewillie
09-24-2006, 09:28 AM
VERY CAREFULLY!!!!!

tony barnhill
09-24-2006, 10:23 PM
& then replace it with a non-air bag wheel!

Banjo
09-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Key to messing with airbags is to have the Battery disconnected. As long as that's done they're pretty safe as long as they're handled with care.
Basic safety with a bag it to never hold it facing away from you, or set it down face-down. If it ever went off you do not want the metal base to become a projectile.
Just treat it like a loaded gun, with the backside of the airbag as the barrell, and you'll be fine
Make sure all connecters are secured completely, and be careful with the "clock spring" connector under the wheel.
I would not perminantly remove an airbag from a newer car as that drastically affects it's resalability in some cases.