PDA

View Full Version : What is the best garage floor protectant ?

KLUTZ
09-22-2006, 10:57 PM
The woman who owns the place I store my LBC's has just redone here entire garage floor with a really great check design in the coloUrs to match her MGTD and her Mercedes SUV's. Money is not a factor with her and she asked me if I could find out what would be the best to put overtop of the new floor so it will stay as nice as it is. The floor is a smooth concrete, like I haven't seen before so I am not sure of the absorbtion factor of what would be put on top. They also have a riding tractor and a snowblower that they drag in and out, and her husband is in a wheelchair, so nothing real slippery either.
If anyone can give an idea please.. Remember.. cost is no object here.

Paul

Steve_S
09-22-2006, 11:15 PM
What is the checkerboard pattern made of? I hope it's at least a good epoxy paint.

KLUTZ
09-22-2006, 11:22 PM
It is an epoxy she got at Bengiman Moore. They told her it was the best they had so she went with that. She said they were a little iffy on the toping so she is looking elsewhere.

Steve_S
09-23-2006, 12:31 AM
A good epoxy should not need a clear coat. The stuff I used is hard as nails. Definitely in a completely different leaque than the home depot stuff.

KLUTZ
09-23-2006, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A good epoxy should not need a clear coat. The stuff I used is hard as nails. Definitely in a completely different leaque than the home depot stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I told her Steve. The floor is bullet proof as far as I could tell. It took her three weeks to do it herself, and being in her 70's she doesn't want to do any part of it again. I will see her again tomorow and explain that again.

Thanks

JamesWilson
09-23-2006, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Remember.. cost is no object here.

[/ QUOTE ]

A nice Persian carpet should cover and protect it well, and be easily rolled up for displaying the floor.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

R6MGS
09-23-2006, 09:26 PM
My stamped concrete driveway uses "Stone Mason" concrete sealer....I like the high gloss stuff, but they offer other finishes as well.....It hardens like a plastic coating, would probably be great indoors....I've had a few issues with it outside(but some of that is due to my own carelessness). It is kinda slipper when wet, they recommend you mix a little sand in with it....but I haven't, only slipped and broke my watch once so far.

KLUTZ
09-23-2006, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My stamped concrete driveway uses "Stone Mason" concrete sealer.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Where would you buy that Ron?

Dave Richards
09-25-2006, 10:15 PM
An epoxy paint, properly sealed, should need no sealer, and anything applied, over that epoxy paint, before full cure will prevent proper curing.

The epoxy paint will prevent a concrete sealer from reaching the concrete.

There may be a clear epoxy that is compatible with the epoxy paint, but I suspect it would have a tendency to yellow with age.

Benjamin Moore has a fairly good description of its paints and coatings, and its specifications are available, on its website.