PDA

View Full Version : I went nuts at Griot's Garage Warehouse Sale

sammyb
09-22-2006, 09:48 PM
I got invited to the Griot's Garage Warehouse Sale "friends and family" pre-sale today. If you've never received their catalogs, you need to get them just for fun (and to see the great cars that come on the cover...their web address is www.griotsgarage.com (http://www.griotsgarage.com) ) Anyway, they're located just north of Tacoma, and I've used many of their products for years.

So...I went totally NUTS there. They had tons of discontinued garage tools, scratch and dent, special deals.

I bought enough garage epoxy to do my entire garage floor. (6 gallons of Gray color at $20 each -- that's less than the cheap stuff at Home Depot!)

A pair of heavy duty car ramps for $15. A "Cadillac of Creepers" normally $60, today $15. An orbital waxing kit to replace the one my friend lost for $175 -- BUT buying it gave an instant 10% off my entire purchase. Stainless steel self-opening trash can for $10. Long reach needlenose pliers for $1 (awesome!) Professional one man brake bleeder for $10. Heavy duty oil filter wrench for $2.50.

Plus my favorite impluse purchase: a set of 4 5000 pound Go-Jacks for $198. These are the ones you slide around car wheels and step on the ratchet lever, and they pick the car up so you can move it/spin it. I have Harbor Freight ones, but the casters stink, and they require using a floor jack, whereas the Go Jacks lift the car by themselves. I looked at the catalog, and they normally go for $700 for a set of four!!!

There were a bunch of brushes and applicators which were about a buck a piece. Plus I bought some window cleaner, leather reconditioner and Spray On Wax, because I'm running out.

But I also got a set of Lotus valve stem caps with keychain for $1. Will make a good gift for my dad (and much cheaper than buying the Elan for him!!!)

Totally nuts, and my wife already gave me that "YOU SPENT HOW MUCH!?!?!?!" But I'll have a painted garage floor with a bunch of new tools, gadgets and gizmos to play with during the winter!

tony barnhill
09-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Well, we dcefinitely want to see photos of the completed floor!

R6MGS
09-22-2006, 10:20 PM
I need to get some of those Go-Jack things....I've been sliding cars around the redneck way(balancing the car on two hydraulic jacks and nudging it inch by inch)for too long and I know one day something bad is going to happen.

Steve_S
09-22-2006, 11:20 PM
I've wanted go-jacks forever but they are just so expensive. Lucky you for getting a deal! Sounds like a great day of shopping. As for the wife, just explain how much you saved buy buying things on sale. That's the excuse women use when they come home with bags of clothes they don't need, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AngliaGT
09-23-2006, 12:24 AM
They have some nice stuff - but the prices in the catalog are WAY out of my league.
I wonder why they don't just lower their prices.
(I don't mean anything aganst you scoring some great deals).
- Doug

sammyb
09-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Doug,
I figured out their pricing plan a while ago. Basically, their waxes, polishes, liquids (cleaning, polishing, protectants) are pretty much in line with Meguires, Mothers and better priced than some other so-called high-end stuff.
This is the bulk of their business.

The other garage equipment can be purchased through other outlets...on some stuff they have better prices, other equipment is more expensive. In general, they have some very loyal customers with serious income that simply buy what they like when they like it. Griot's has a good business model, and they do put things on sale from time to time so that us mortals can afford to grab a few luxury items.

anthony7777
09-23-2006, 01:02 PM
doug, great scores! glad i wasnt there i would have "gone nuts" as well, its amazing how much one can save by spending money-some how that just doesnt sound right.perhaps a new "yogi-ism" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif