PDA

View Full Version : Raymond Baxter has died.........

Steve
09-15-2006, 04:37 PM
UK Broadcaster Raymond Baxter has died. He was 84.

He was a Spitfire pilot during World War II, taking part in raids against V1 and V2 missile sites deep inside occupied Europe.

Immediately after the war he joined the British Forces Network and reported on the Berlin airlift.

A motorsport enthusiast, he not only covered but also took part in a number of Monte Carlo rallies.

He was a pioneer in outside broadcasting in television's infancy in the 1950s.

The world is a poorer place today.

Mickey Richaud
09-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Not a name with which I'm familiar, but from your description of his work, I imagine I've heard/seen him. Too bad.

Mickey

coldplugs
09-15-2006, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...The world is a poorer place today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

He did it all, and seemed to enjoy every minute of it - really one of those larger-than-life characters.

I recently read his autobiography and was really impressed by the enthusiasm he maintained throughout his life.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Basil
09-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Part of "The Greatest Generation." There are fewer and fewer of them every year.

zblu
09-17-2006, 08:50 AM
dont you mean all of us bas!

Bugeye58
09-17-2006, 12:52 PM
I always admired him, and Doug Bader.
We are all the poorer for his passing.
Jeff

Roger
09-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I remember as a boy in boarding school listening to the late-night broadcasts from Le Mans on the radio. Baxter was the usual commentator, and his commentary was superb.
Murray Walker was often his assistant, but the less said about him the better!
Sad to see him go.

DrEntropy
09-19-2006, 04:08 PM
...I read the thread header when you first posted this, Steve. Got up and paced the cage for a bit... no response, as I'm tired of learning of the demise of (my) heroes... not 'angry' tired, but 'soul' tired... it gets heavier and heavier with time. It's just so... so depressing.

I laud the man; he had a good, long run.

Arrivederci, Mr. Baxter.

john_j
09-21-2006, 05:15 PM
He was also a founder member of the (UK) Southern Counties Sprite Club, which with amalgamations is now Southern Counties Centre of the UK Austin Healey Club, there is still a trophy presented by him in the 50s/60s