PDA

View Full Version : Sightings - on the job...

kennypinkerton
09-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Well, my new job carries me all over about a 60-70 square mile area. I've already had several cool old car sightings. 1st day, I saw a Jensen Interceptor sitting in a small collection of junk cars. Yesterday I saw a 1958 Ford 2-door, and today a 1959 Ford 2 door. We've been fixing leaking service lines, one leaky (on our side) meter, doing line locates and re-reading meters... Next week we do the whole meter reading route, I should get to see nearly every old car in the area /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill
09-13-2006, 07:41 PM
CARRY A MAP! MARK THEIR LOCATIONS/ADDRESSES!

kennypinkerton
09-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Some of these roads aren't on any maps (except the monstrously huge engineering maps in the bosses office)... I'm pretty certain that after a few more weeks I'll be able to carry you to them blindfolded. As it is, I'll have to memorize where all 1540 water meters are located /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

And the Jensen is the easiest one... it's right across the street from our source meter and main pumping station.

kennypinkerton
09-13-2006, 07:54 PM
I have been considering seriously carrying my digital camera with me on the meter reading (might be a bit of a hassel on that though until I learn that part of the job), or next time we're riding around checking the pump-stations and water towers.

tony barnhill
09-13-2006, 08:02 PM
That or remember some terrain feature that'll take you back to the car.....my UPS guy tells me about cars he spots on his route.

R6MGS
09-13-2006, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CARRY A MAP! MARK THEIR LOCATIONS/ADDRESSES!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif I've got a binder actually....Mostly American iron thats "gunna be restored someday"....I check up on the real rare stuff every once and awhile to see if the owner has changed his mind....Added about 10 cars(lots of vettes) just last weekend on day trip to inspect some pickup trucks.

tony barnhill
09-13-2006, 08:58 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif Sounds like me