PDA

View Full Version : So... How do I tell my wife....

JamesWilson
09-12-2006, 05:57 AM
that I've bought another LBC? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

completely out of the blue.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Suggestions for minimizing maritial discord appreciated... just don't tell me to sell it on before she notices it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

KLUTZ
09-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Tell her it is for her. Worked for me.

jayhawk
09-12-2006, 08:02 AM
I was thinking something lame like "Consider it an investment, hon".

But then I thought of another--How about confessing that you have "the disease". You can't help yourself, plead for mercy and throw yourself at the mercy of the court?

anthony7777
09-12-2006, 08:06 AM
james,ah the things we do, just dont "practice to deceive" itll only make things worse tell her straight up, but first find a near by studio apartment and pre-pack some luggage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mickey Richaud
09-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Never mind what you tell your wife... what'd you get? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mickey

drooartz
09-12-2006, 08:42 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif My question exactly.

I think the upfront, "I've got the disease" method might be the best approach. How many boxes is the new car in? The fewer the boxes, the easier it may be since she can see it is actually a car. Of course, if it's all in little boxes, then she may never even notice...

vping
09-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Maybe she can get something in return for herself. There are as many cars in the driveway as there are pets in the house. I "like" the animals but am not a huge fan at this point in my life. I really need to do some thinking before I make my next purchase cause me and that last cat are not seeing eye to eye but I have a great relationship with the GT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

tony barnhill
09-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Hey, Tony's philosophy for a happy marriage applies in this case: "She can never say 'no' to you if you never say 'no' to her!"

Just today I told Jerri I'm gonna take a short run to buy the Daimler SP250 if its as my friend described....her answer? "Can I go along?"

ecurie_ecosse
09-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Way to go Tony. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

James, just tell her,but please tell us what you've bought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gifThe suspense will kill us!!!

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jaybird
09-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Something big, expensive and sparkly might help your cause James.

Sure wish, as a wife, I had that sort of problem with my husband trying to figure out how to tell me he's bought another LBC!!!

R6MGS
09-12-2006, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell her it is for her. Worked for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that one...If you can give her the 'disease' it makes future LBC purchases alot easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

Scott_Hower
09-12-2006, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Just today I told Jerri I'm gonna take a short run to buy the Daimler SP250 if its as my friend described....her answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

errrrrm... Tony, big V8 aside, could you pick an uglier LBC? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

I know it has a Chrysler V8... is it at least a Hemi or Hemi derivative?

Mickey Richaud
09-12-2006, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just today I told Jerri I'm gonna take a short run to buy the Daimler SP250 if its as my friend described....her answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

errrrrm... Tony, big V8 aside, could you pick an uglier LBC? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not ugly - it's DISTINCT!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif Mickey

Baz
09-12-2006, 04:50 PM
James, what is it?
Tony, pay no heed, SP250 rocks.

Steve
09-12-2006, 08:51 PM
The SP250 should have Daimler's own 2.5 litre V8. The Jensen Interceptor had the Chrysler unit.

tony barnhill
09-12-2006, 08:53 PM
"Launched in 1959 the Daimler SP250 was impressively fast, mainly thanks to the new engineer, Edward Turner, who previously worked for Triumph motorcycles. He designed an all new 2.5 litre, hemispheric-combustion chambered, overhead valve - V8 engine, with twin SU carburettors which was influenced by an earlier Triumph motorcycle design."

Randi
09-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Thank you Mickey! My 1st question! Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Steve_S
09-12-2006, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Something big, expensive and sparkly might help your cause James.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like the car he just bought? Make it pretty and put a big bow on it. She wouldn't get mad about a gift, would she? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

coldplugs
09-12-2006, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that I've bought another LBC?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is that Europa you were talking about, maybe you shouldn't tell her. Just hide it under your workbench. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jlaird
09-12-2006, 11:05 PM
It will clash with all the MGs Tony. You want fights out there at nite when you are trying to sleep?

JamesWilson
09-13-2006, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Never mind what you tell your wife... what'd you get? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a 1972 Jensen Healey Mk I. Red.

In decent condition (rust free-ish but for one spot of concern) though "tired"- interior shows its age, and oil oozes from the engine. I reckon its easily useable and a rolling restoration/rebuild/upgrade can be done while I'm still beavering away on the Big Healey.

After 5 years of on-and-off work on the Big Healey I kind of want something that moves, for a while.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

It may have been a Jensen company car used for press/staff and is low mileage and has been off the road for most of the past several years. Seems its current owner did enough to make it road-legal again and has lost interest/motivation in favour of something more modern and comfortable.

I'll tell her on the week-end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I think....

then again, it might just "appear" in the driveway.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

jlaird
09-13-2006, 07:57 AM
With a five year effort on the Healey I just think the wife would understand your modavation to drive something.

For goodness sake tell her before she finds out. All bets off at that point.

Mickey Richaud
09-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Congrats on the acquisition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

And good luck with breaking the news to SWMBO...MOTT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Mickey

tony barnhill
09-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Jensen Healey - neat car! Doesn't it have that open timing belt ala Lotus?

JamesWilson
09-13-2006, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jensen Healey - neat car! Doesn't it have that open timing belt ala Lotus?

[/ QUOTE ]

It used the Lotus 907 engine... before Lotus itself did.

Customer development of the engine was one of the major criticisms of the car.

This one oozes oil, and the tailpipe was full of soot. But I got a spare engine and was planning on a re-build over the winter. There are a modest number of minor cosmetic/mechanical fixes to make too.

I reckon I'll get a month or two of semi-decent weather's driving (a dozen "runs" maybe) before winter lay-up.

Then rebuild the engine and do the "fixes" needed to keep oil in, etc. over the winter and just use it lightly for the next couple years.

Its got a new battery, new exhaust, new-ish tires, modern stereo and supposedly a new cam belt within the past 18 months and it seems pretty solid.

The interior is worn and the engine seems to need a good overhaul. I checked the electrics fairly thoroughly but Lord Lucas might have been asleep.....

JamesWilson
09-13-2006, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For goodness sake tell her before she finds out. All bets off at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this every five years or so... Last time it was the Big Healey, before that a Black Labrador.

At least its a running car and not another Big Healey project... THAT would be death defying....

tony barnhill
09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Give it to her as a "just because" gift!

Bret
09-13-2006, 11:36 AM
I didn't tell my wife about my 78' 928 for almost a week after I first got it. I hid it for most of that time while I tried to figure out the right opening. I didn't have to wait long thank God because the following weekend she pulled a surprise on me about something she'd aquired saying that she really wanted it & that I could have whatever I wanted.

I smilled & told her that I'd already closed the deal on a new toy and that I'd be picking it up in the next day or so. First words out of her mouth where "its not a Motorcycle is it?". I just grinned & said, "no - its a Shark!"

Mind you she did ask a few days later - "So just when where you going to tell me" had she not given me that opening. I just smiled & said that I'd actually been working the deal for a long time and was selling some old MGB & some other stuff I had sitting arround, so as to save some money. All true BTW.

She had a hard time complaining about the final out of pocket ($1500) I laid down for the Porsche. In fact she paid me a compliment when she first saw the Porsche saying that "it's hard to argue with sucess, after looking at what I'd done with the MG". However I never did tell her how much it really cost ($$$$) me, after all my wheeling & dealing was done. But then hey she never asked right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

BTW she still has no idea how much money I have laying around in MG parts & equipment I've collected over the years for my job. Funny thing neither am I. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

jaybird
09-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Oh for crying out loud. Be a man, just tell her. Thump your chest, grab your crotch and say, "Woman, I bought another car, now go fetch me an ale."

sideache
09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Just tell her straight up. She may be OK with it. If she gets mad, well - there is always make-up sex.

Randi
09-13-2006, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh for crying out loud. Be a man, just tell her. Thump your chest, grab your crotch and say, "Woman, I bought another car, now go fetch me an ale."

[/ QUOTE ]HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....yeah-do that!!!!!Love you Miss Janel!! Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Mickey Richaud
09-13-2006, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....yeah-do that!!!!!Love you Miss Janel!! Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Yeah - I want to be there to watch!

Mickey

tony barnhill
09-13-2006, 10:06 PM
hehehehehe....is a Jensen Healey big enough to get a comfortable night's sleep in?

JamesWilson
09-14-2006, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its more a question of timing... we've had visitors for the past week and she's been tired too.

I've already told the daughter... and she's enquired about the funeral arrangements; and how long the prison authorities might take to authorize her visiting privledges.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

I'll take her some flowers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
and chocolates, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
and a nice bottle of something... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

and she'll KNOW then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

won't have to actually SAY much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

Mickey Richaud
09-14-2006, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
won't have to actually SAY much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably the smart route to take, anyway! Kinda like the Miranda Rights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mickey

JamesWilson
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Its done... and she seems pretty OK about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wonder when I'll start paying? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

kyreb1862
09-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Wonder when I'll start paying? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the old sword of Damolcles scenario. You have this hanging over your head just waiting for the blow to fall!
Good Luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

michalotti_tr
09-14-2006, 01:24 PM
I've had fun reading this thread - especially since my wife OFFERED me a sports car recently ... ok, to be honest, first she offered me a BMW Z4, then she offered me a Porshe roadster. I talked her into getting me a Miata, and now SHE loves the car - she just asked me this morning if we could go for a ride in it tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I'll be on cloud nine when she does the same with the Triumphs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

jackq
09-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Last one I bought...I said"But it followed me home"...whining involved....I wasn't lying..it was on the back of my rollback!! Seriously though, my wife calls me when she finds a car for sale I might like. She has a younger and an older sister...I got the pick of the litter. For the past three years shes been trying to get a co-worker to sell her a B that belongs to the woman's husband. Beened stuffed in the garage for 15+ years..and will never get restored.

jlaird
09-18-2006, 08:10 AM
"I got the pick of the litter".

No complaints here either. We both a bit long in the tooth but still willing to enjoy what ever comes along. 47 years together and counting. Wish we could go around again.

JamesWilson
09-18-2006, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wish we could go around again.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

We're still going around... and around, and around.

Do you think after 18 rounds I can stop? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

ecurie_ecosse
09-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Not at all James,after all,the next round is number one.Isn't it?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

DrEntropy
09-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Look all hangdog, admit it's a serious character flaw and remind her it says something about "for better or worse" in the original contract... and don't ferget t' duck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif