PDA

View Full Version : CarFax Reports

R6MGS
09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
I want to get a Carfax report on a truck I am looking at.....carfax offers two account types(single $19.95, and unlimited for 24.95) The website doesn't really explain the difference between the two. I'd assume single is good for one report while unlimited is good for as many reports as you want? Does anyone know for sure? Does anyone have an account with them?

Thx

jayhawk
09-11-2006, 12:27 PM
When I did it last for my Saab search I bought a month subscription for 24.95. I not only looked for my potential cars but used it to help my daughter/son in law find a used car and helped a couple friends. Also looked at an old '62 VW bug I had owned for 11 years at the time. I thought it was worth it and no hassle if you don't sign up again.

jlaird
09-11-2006, 01:45 PM
But but, does it not want 17 diget VIN numbers?? Guess what we don't have.

R6MGS
09-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks...so the $24.95 got you a month of an unlimited number of reports....Sounds like a good idea, I can check out some cars I've previously owned(nothing britsh though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

tony barnhill
09-11-2006, 07:36 PM
CarFax is CRAOP! (Sorry, Basil)...its garbage in, garbage out...not everything gets reported to CarFax - only the stuff from shops that are members...lots of independent garages don't input their maintenance so, take what it tells you with a grain of salt!

IMHO, I'd never pay for CRAOP!

kennypinkerton
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Yep. the only way to truly judge a cars condition is to look it over and maybe take it to a trusted mechanic to look it over if you don't know what to look for in a particular model.

R6MGS
09-11-2006, 07:46 PM
I am more worried about liens....I can tell if a cars been in an accident or not....I've had a bad experience once with a lien on a Spitfire I bought.

tony barnhill
09-11-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm so emphatic about CarFax being junk that I get angry everytime its mentioned anywhere near me...lemme tell you why:

I had a 1984 Jaguar sedan - bought it from the original lady owner...had all her service records (none done at the dealership after it went out of warranty)...put it on ebay & some guy ran a CarFax & called me a liar & theirf & reported to ebay that the mileage was wrong & it wasn't in the condition I described....I had to copy & fax everything I had to ebay to prove I wasn't faking it....car finally sold on ebay for more than book value because of the documentation I had - but CarFax had none of it because her garage/mechanic wasn't linked to CarFax

CarFax...junk, junk, junk!!!

R6MGS
09-11-2006, 07:56 PM
hmmm....Well the seller of this particular truck is starting to jack me around....So I think I might just back off regardless of any reports.
I am not surprised that carfax would have some unreliable info....I always wondered how they could keep track of everything that happens to all the cars out there.
Guess the best way to check things out would be to get a lawyer to investigate, I'd only do this if I was really suspicious of the car as it is pretty expensive.

Randi
09-11-2006, 08:05 PM
we built a Mustang-98 converible so I decided to carfax the vin.....comes back with 17 incidents- but they don't say what unless you pay & the dmv will not give you info due to right to privacy act. sucks Randi p.s. it used to be 24.95 for 3 months.......

tony barnhill
09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
If I get a "Bad vibe" from an owner or a vehicle, I always walk - I trust my gut more than his story....there are lots of litrle pickups ot there.

Oh, my daughter & son-in-law are both lawyers - & they wouldn't know how to start investigating a car that was offered for sale...

Before I'd pay CarFax, I'd pay a good mechanic to go over it & give me his opinion - a mechanic I trust...& if the seller won't let you do that, definitely don't walk but run away!

kennypinkerton
09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Seller's attitude is also a sure sign to walk away sometimes.... but sometimes they are just (maybe) in a really bad financial situation where they need to seel quick. Or sometimes they are natural born buttheads. You want to know for sure what vehicle conditions you are dealing with if they start acting like this... more times than not, it's better to just walk away and look for the next prospect.

R6MGS
09-11-2006, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we built a Mustang-98 converible so I decided to carfax the vin.....comes back with 17 incidents- but they don't say what unless you pay & the dmv will not give you info due to right to privacy act. sucks Randi p.s. it used to be 24.95 for 3 months.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried putting in the VIN for my Camaro...I've owned it since day 1 so I know there are no incidents.....It came back with 12 records....It might just be a ploy to get you to pay and see the records....and they're probably just warrantee repairs or something.

tony barnhill
09-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Does anybody want to know my opnion on CarFax? hehehehe