PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham Historic Races

tony barnhill
09-09-2006, 07:46 PM
http://www.hsrrace.com

Hap Waldrop
09-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Tony, they are a couple of guys who race GTs in HSR, this might be a good info gathering trip for you, Is John going to attend this race. Also keep in mind we have the SCCA Prod Fest last weekend in October at VIR, you could be on my crew if you like. I've been thinking this would be a good one for David to come to as well.

tony barnhill
09-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Last weekend in October is the GRM - if I can get the car finished.

LeeMcKee
09-19-2006, 07:10 AM
There is also a race at Road Atlanta the following weekend.(SVRA) We are going to be in both so I hope to meet some of you guys at either if anyone is attending. I'm with Toothsaver/Goldleaf Racing. We will be running the Lotus at these races but the spridget is almost ready to run again.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

LeeMcKee
10-13-2006, 05:41 PM
I saw some great LBC's at Barber's today.... I'll get some pics to post tomorrow. Is anyone else here attending this weekend?

LeeMcKee
10-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Here are some friends from Mississippi

LeeMcKee
10-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Here is our Lotus in the paddock on the way to the grid.

LeeMcKee
10-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Here is Lee Walker passing a Porsche

LeeMcKee
10-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Here is our Lotus at the podium We took third over all in the first race and first in class in the next two races... Note that we are refueling at the podium because the next group is already forming up at the grid... They held the pace car untill Jim recieved the medal and jumped back into the car. We had three races back to back and each time we made the podium... It was an hour and a half of racing with two podium pit stops and one at the end.... GREAT WEEKEND OF RACING!

LeeMcKee
10-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Jag at the podium

LeeMcKee
10-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Elva in the pits

LeeMcKee
10-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Spidget on the straights... MAN IS THIS CAR LOUD!

LeeMcKee
10-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Lee in Traffic... This is the last pic untill I figure out how to group more than one pic per post.

aeronca65t
10-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Lee:

Great pictures. And lots of similar cars to the VRG vintage races I've run this year.
I was wondering about the tow-loop for the Lotus (on the roof) until I though about it for a minute...it's a actually a great place to put it.
Is that a Ford or Renault-powered Europa?

LeeMcKee
10-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Our engine is the double overhead Ford Cosworth. She is a type 47 and was one of the factory cars so they put the tow ring there. She has another tow ring under the bonnet but you have to lose the hood before you can get to it. We are racing HSR and SVRA with the Lotus and we have a Sprite that we run in group 2. I am building a midget for myself as well. Get this, It is a 78 rubber bumper that is Dark Green and has the 1500 engine. I think that my car is the sibling of yours. They look exactly alike. (Nice website by the way) I'm going to run her as a 74 so I can run in Vintage class. I am building a 1275 and doing the nessacery body work to be period correct. I will try to find a pic of my car for you.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Lee

LeeMcKee
10-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Here is a pic of my midget... I call her Jenny (long story)
She is REALLY dirty in this pic and I have not finished the flares on the front fenders. Oh and I had just wrecked her that morning in an autocross misshap. This is her "good side"...She looks much better now.

aeronca65t
10-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Pretty Funny!
Your car is a *lot* like mine.
In fact, I bought a 1275 parts car last week, so I could re-power mine with the A-Series engine and make it truly vintage legal (although this east coast VRG club is pretty easy-going...they've let me run the 1500 without any real fuss). The 1500 has been OK, but I'm looking forward to running the 1275....it'll take more of a beating.
By the by, be sure that your flares (even little one) are legal. Generally, they are not. That is one of the reasons I have left my fenders alone (and just run the skinnier 175 Yoko A032Rs instead of the 205s. I'm pretty sure that in SVRA, you can open up the rear fenders if you like, so that it looks like an RWA Midget (I did this after I destroyed the left rear side in a crash at the Glen).
Also, the front mounting plate that holds your leaf springs on each side has a spacer plate that you can discard. This will lower your car about 5/8" (it's part of the "jacking-up" process on the the rubber bumper cars). I didn't notice that plate for the first year of racing this thing.
And, I re-arced my rear springs to drop the car a bit more. To do this, I hand-hammered my rear leaf springs cold with a 4-lb sledge hammer (I used an old 1500 block as an "anvil"). While I was at it, I added one extra stock leaf. Worked great. I have race springs in the front now, but at first I just cut 1-1/2 coils out of the stock front springs and it wasn't too bad.
Look forward to hearing about your progress.

I am sort of familiar with the Type 47...that's a *real* race car!

tony barnhill
10-16-2006, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here are some friends from Mississippi

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee Walker's GT!! I went to high school with his wife...know him & his brother!

LeeMcKee
10-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Tony,
Lee was my third grade teacher in Hattiesburg Mississippi. I worked for him while I was in college at USM as well. Him and David are the reason that I got into sportscars in the first place. It is a small world isn't it?

Nial,
Thanks for the heads up on the rear spacer, I was planning on rearcing the rear springs but, didn't know about the spacer. I put the comp springs in the front and it lowered quite a bit. I was talking to a guy that has a spitfire that I'm working on and he wants a new 1500 for his car. I just rebuilt the 1500 for my midget and made her pretty "hot". He wants to buy the engine off me so I'm on the hunt for a "A" series right now. (I wonder if Tony has one?) Do you know if the Tranny in the midget is the same as in the Spit? If not what are the differences?

aeronca65t
10-18-2006, 05:36 AM
Yes. The 1500 Midget and 1500 Spitfire have the same all-syncro trans (sometime called "The Marina gearbox"). It is not a bad gearbox.
You will need the 1275 trans mount and driveshaft as well as the 1275 "ribcage" trans when you do this swap. You may be able to keep your 1500 radiator (I'm not sure). The "ribcage" does not have syncro first gear, but it is a nice and fast-shifting gearbox that is slightly nicer than the 1500 unit (they do not interchange). The ribcage is all aluminum, while the 1500 trans has a cast iron bell housing, so you'll save a bit of weight on the trans (the engines are about the same weight).

tony barnhill
10-18-2006, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tony,
Lee was my third grade teacher in Hattiesburg Mississippi. I worked for him while I was in college at USM as well. Him and David are the reason that I got into sportscars in the first place. It is a small world isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it, Lee? We made it a point to drive down to Hattiesburg right after the hurricane went through to check on Lee & David...Lee's house took quite a hit but when we were back down this summer, it had been rebuilt/repaired...&, you know him, he wasn't the least bit upset about it!

Oh, next time you see him, ask about the Miata his wife rammed into my Dodge pickup!

LeeMcKee
10-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Nial,
I have a 1275 spotted but I would like your opinion on what mods are effective. I was thinking about boreing out the cylinders (+.60) and adding a hot cam and shaving the head. other than that I was going to add a couple of oil coolers and going with the dual SU carbs. What are your thoughts? Oversized valves as well?
Tony,
I've been away from Lee Walker for a couple of years or more because my wife and I moved down to the coast after the children's museum closed that Lee and I worked at. It took about five minutes before things were like we have not spent one day apart. He is the most optimistic and "good" person I know. That poor MGB-GT has been on the track for as long as I can remiember and he has never taken first place but, thats not the point... He loves the "chase" and If he never comes in first it would not matter in the least. He and David are "living the dream" and you can't ask for anything else. Did you know that about thirty years ago Lee and David copyrighted a grand prix board game? They did a civil war srategy game that actually took off pretty well during the 80's. Now that they have both "retired" from teaching they are pouring everything into thier MGB-GT. I'm e-mailing Lee tonight with some pics of the races, I'll tell him that I know you.

aeronca65t
10-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Lee:

If you are going vintage racing, you can have just as much fun with a moderately hotted-up engine....it doesn't have to be a 9000 RPM, 130 HP screamer (which will grenade regularly).

The 1275 I just got runs good and I do not intend to overdo it on modifications (I've been racing a nearly stock 1500 with maybe 75 HP for the last few years and it's been a hoot).

In my case, the 1275 will get a crank regrind and new bearings and rebore cylinders to the next size. I'll put in a moderate Elgin or Kent cam (something in "the hot street car" level). I'll use 9:1 pistons and probably grind 0.050" off the head (I'll probably end up with about 9.5:1). Also, a header, standard valve job, and port cleanup. Otherwise, the thing will get a Pertonix electronic unit in the stock distributor, a spin-on oil filter, cooling fan removed, themostat blanking plate and new timing chain. Maybe new lifters and oil pump if needed. I may delete the alternator/generator too. I'll run stock rocker arms, stock rods (resized with APT hardware) and likely cut about 4 lbs. off the stock steel flywheel. Stock carbs set rich.
I may have it balanced. All told, I may get 80 HP or so.

I haven't seen the need for an oil cooler in 1500s or 1275s in the club racing that I do...and sometimes they just trap a lot of crud. If you use an oil cooler, throw it away every few years...you can never get them clean inside. I change the oil and filter every race and always run race gas.
With this moderate setup, a 6500 RPM redline and new rod bearings at the end of each season, I'll get many years of fun.

It's funny that you and Tony know the same person, but I've noticed that I run into familar faces at vintage events too. I ran into a former student at the '06 Pittsburgh Vintage (plus Dave from here). And I met two buddies from regular club racing at the Summit Point vintage event a few weeks ago. The vintage crowd is very chummy and a good bunch.

rileyimp
10-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Hi Guys,
I just found the forum. I am chief of tech with HSR and would like to commend Lee and Jim on a great job at Birmingham last weekend. I will now refer to them as the "Iron Men" as they made every session they were supposed to (albeit a little late for the last one!!!). The Lotus ran great, he just needs some more folks to run with. Those of you with small bore cars need to come back and check out HSR. There is some weird perception out there that we are not small bore friendly. It couldn't be further from the truth!!! The only reason we have ended up with combined grids is that we can't get enough of the small bore guys to come play. You won't have to race with the 356s or the 911s if you can bring enough cars to fill a grid!!! Don't forget I'm an old small bore guy too!!
Chip Wright

MoPho
10-19-2006, 02:43 PM
OK, how come I am not seeing any of these photos?

aeronca65t
10-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Chip W:

Welcome to British Car Forum! Great to see more and more vintage-types here (up here in the NorthEast, I run with VRG ( www.vrgonline.org (http://www.vrgonline.org) ) and I'm the RaceChair for EMRA ( www.emraracing.org (http://www.emraracing.org) ). Especially happy to have more small-bore guys onboard!

Mo:
The pictures are "attachments". You will need to click on the blue link that says "attachment" to view them.

MoPho
10-19-2006, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Mo:
The pictures are "attachments". You will need to click on the blue link that says "attachment" to view them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried that, get the dreaded "404 not found"

DART
10-19-2006, 04:45 PM
I couldn't get beyond the ole 404 either. Thought it was because of the forum move, but may be something else.

aeronca65t
10-19-2006, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't get beyond the ole 404 either. Thought it was because of the forum move, but may be something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah...I see what you guys mean. They were probably lost with the switch to the new server.

MoPho
10-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Bring them back, ****it!!! I want to see them now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

tony barnhill
10-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Basil hasn't gotten around to uploading the photos & classifieds...they're next....until thin, we'll have to host them on our own sites or on a photo-specific site....but, he's working on it.

LeeMcKee
10-20-2006, 03:02 AM
I'm leaving for Atlanta in an hour. This is the weekend of the SVRA end of season races at Road Atlanta. I just checked out the entrys online and it looks to be a big weekend. I'll try to get some more pics to share with you guys when I get back.
Cheers,
Lee