PDA

View Full Version : Going sailing tomorrow.

kennypinkerton
09-08-2006, 04:23 PM
I've pulled the boat out, and I'm taking it to the lake tomorrow. I'm taking the guy who gave me the boat last year. I promised him I'd take him out at least once after I got it going again, but we've had different off-days since then. I leave here at about 10:30 in the morning, and we should be on the lake by 11:30-12:00. Only my second time out on the boat, ever. This time we'll be able to open her up and I'll finally get to see what it can do. Plus getting tips from the PO will be nice too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jlaird
09-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Trim the darn jib and keep it flat.

tony barnhill
09-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Fly the main!

jlaird
09-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Hoist the rudder.

hottvr
09-08-2006, 08:09 PM
I used to live on a 47 foot Vagabond Ketch. Really miss sleeping on it. The rocking was very relaxing.Also miss taking her out.
Rick

ecurie_ecosse
09-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Close hauled Kenny! That's the way to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Wish I could be with you.

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jlaird
09-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Sold my 27 a couple of years back. Don't really miss her. She was part of the family for over 20 years.

kennypinkerton
09-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Mine's just an open cockpit 16 foot one-design racing dingy, but it's fun to go explore the lake with it. Today I'm going to go to Treasure Island county park, about 5 miles from the boat ramp. I've never been up there. It's an island in the middle of the lake that's only accessible by boat. But it has picnic facilities... so a nice lunch there and then back to exploring the lake again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird
09-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Undersant the Snipe, my dad built one when I was a kid.

kennypinkerton
09-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Well, we're back... not nearly enough wind to do anything other than cruise around at slower than a snail's pace. Took us nearly 3 hours to get upwind to about half-way across the large area of the lake, and so we turned around and came back... then the wind picked up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I still had fun though. very relaxing.

jlaird
09-09-2006, 04:57 PM
That is the way to start, slow and easy. And then, and then.

tony barnhill
09-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Small sailboat on a calm lake with medium wind so you don't have to tac all the time is one of the most relaxing ways to spend a Saturday afternoon!

kennypinkerton
09-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Yep, I found myself stretched out on one side of the boat with my feet dangling in the water - very relaxing.

anthony7777
09-10-2006, 06:40 AM
kenny, id been into powerboats since i was a kid,usta race hydros and utility class boats,and owned several gas powered fishing boats as well, i was asked to check out an engine for a local "sabre" boat dealer that was having fits with it,as part of the tip i received the owner insisted i spend a day with him sailing on long island sound on his "sabre" 386= 38 feet 6" boat i very reluctantly did so,i never thought you could have that much fun on a sail boat,really turned my boating mind set around, i also learned they dont need to be that big to have a great deal of fun with em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gifenjoy

kennypinkerton
09-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Yep they are fun, and the only gas I used was getting to the lake... As I understand it, powerboats are thirsty creatures. And, my boat is small enough to almost not even be noticeable by my truck, easy to trailer, and only takes about 15 minutes to setup, and breakdown. I did find that it takes a little more than 1 mph of wind to keep headway, though not much. Last trip out the wind was at around 15 mph, and the boat was quite fast and exciting, though not as scary or dangerous as some had told me it would be.