PDA

View Full Version : Younger people and LBCs (under 40 crowd)

kindofblue
09-02-2006, 11:54 AM
I am 32 years old and love English sports cars. When I brought my car to a show a few weeks ago, most of the interest was from other LBC owners, or people who had one when they were in "college".
What is the appeal of owning one if you didn't have one when you were younger. We could be out driving and working on Miatas and Z3s. I personally love the directness of the experience. It is very real: no power anything. The car asks you to actually work to drive and own it. It refreshing. Before each trip I have to open the bonnet and check the fluids.
Its also like nothing else on the road. Even bikers eek out a smile when I come by. I think I was introduced to MGs and TRs from reading Peter Egan in high school. I didn't know anyone who owned one of these until I joined the local club. I think its just totally cool driving down the road in something older than I am.

LeeMcKee
09-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I also am in the under 40 catagory and I love these little cars because they are truly SPORTSCARS. with the exception of the Elise there has not been a good true sportscar produced in twenty or so years. Sure you could go out and get a Porsche but you still have power steering, brake assist and traction control. Your mom could drive a car like that and win. LBC's are a bit like owning a horse with an attitude. They are a great close friend that you do everything possible to keep her happy and on some days she won't want to leave the stable. However, on some days she is ready to go, and will take you by the seat of your pants! As a matter of fact my old girl is telling me she wants a gallup through the hills of beautiful Central Alabama right now. See Y'all later.
Lee

Banjo
09-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Just turned 30 here. Ive been into LBCs since I bought a 62 AH Sprite when I was 20. I've always been a history buff, and I have a facination with mechanical things. I first had a 67 Galaxie 500, but I got real tired of trying to push it around and finding room for it so I turned to a small convertable.
I love being a bit of an oddball. I play the banjo and dulcimer, I collect things that no one else has even heard of or wants. I like things from the 1800s or early 1900s. and in the world of cars, the more obscure, the better. so LBCs fit my intrests perfectly.
They're old, mechanical,obscure,and a hoot to drive.
I'm the youngest member of my club, but that dosen't bother me

Steve_S
09-02-2006, 01:37 PM
34 here. I've owned my B since I was 17 and still drive it. Since then I've collected four more including a 1949 TC. The older the car the more I seem to love it. I actually wrote a short article on it once and posted it on my web site HERE (http://www.mgnuts.com/mg/tales/mgtc/why/).

Banjo
09-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Well put steve. I second the thoughts.
I'd add (cause I left it out of my last post) that It's the closest I can get to having a time machine, one of my lifelong fantisies, to experience that bit of the stories I grew up hearing and reading about (like you said in your article)

Steve_S
09-02-2006, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm the youngest member of my club, but that dosen't bother me

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not only the youngest in the TC club I belong to, but the average aged person in the club is old enough to be my grandparent! Still, they are my favorite car group both for the cars and the people.

PK1973
09-02-2006, 04:31 PM
39yrs 343days...Always liked British cars since a neighbor had a TR7 and a Spitfire when I was young (he also had a Olds Cutlass Convert and several other muscle cars, but I always gravitated towed the Triumphs). Fast forward two decades and I obtained another degree, to reward myself I purchased a Spitfire in 2001 and joined local/national clubs. Having a son and a very understanding wife, she suggested getting the Stag so we can enjoy as a family. That was in 2003 and I have been driving both. My son loves riding in the Spitfire and every Thursday we attend a local cruise night as father/son time. The Jaguar (somewhat modern compared to the Triumph's)was an act of rebellion against driving a mini van. I wanted to return to a coupe as a daily driver, but the stipulation was that it had to have a back seat. It is a work in progress but my wife already calls it the date car. Bottom line, driving from point A to point B doesnt have to be boring, dull and with out some excitement.

drooartz
09-02-2006, 04:36 PM
33 here. My grandmother's second husband had a nice MG TD, got me initially interested. I too read a lot of Peter Egan, and it rekindled the interest. Lots of reasons why I like these old cars. They have real personality, are modest in price, and are a hoot to drive. I want to learn to work on cars, and there's not much simpler than a Bugeye.

I also tend towards old things in general (1923 Gibson mandolin, 1940s upright bass, 1977 Fender electric bass, all actively used on my gigs). The years seem to impart some depth to an otherwise inanimate object. I find real joy that something with lots of years can still do that for which it was created, in some cases better than a new one--the best sort of recycling. And I image that my Bugeye will still be making folks smile long after I'm gone.

vping
09-02-2006, 05:56 PM
39 and so is my GT.I get a kick outta driving something that is the same age as I am. We creak together. I too think the older the car, the more fun it is to keep it going. I think I am the yougest TD owner in my club but I beleive that there are a few people that may be younger but's like 1 or 2 members.

swift6
09-02-2006, 06:24 PM
35 years young here, fell for TR6's when I was 11 years old and saw my first one in person. Have owned my TR6 since I was 19. Became one of the original members of the local multi-marque British car club when I was 25 and am a former Vice President & President of that club. I enjoy automobiles of all sorts but do particularly enjoy the British brands. I am a multiple Triumph owner but find many things to like about the 'other' marques as well. Even MG's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Baz
09-02-2006, 07:49 PM
33 and love the fact that I can repair, replace and get back on the road with a few $'s and a couple of hours. Try doing that in a miata or Z3?!?!?!
You're right about the power nothing, it's an engine, a good one, four wheels, two terrible seats, steering wheel and shifter. What more is needed? Sure, a stereo or something, but turning a 13 inch steering wheel at less than 5mph is all character. New 'mini's' are commonplace now and lost their novelty in a minute, most mass produced cars with power everything will be at the dealership getting repaired for something not covered in the warranty before too long, I guarantee the cost to repair a transmission in a new mini will be more than my midget and everything I've ever spent on it.
There will always be a place on the roads for an LBC, cars today are without character, seeing our hobbies well kept and loved and driven is a novelty that many under 40's don't appreciate.
Our cars, whatever make, are unique. Each spridget, B, TR has a personality. We could be messing around with miatas and Z3's, but why?
We won't see someone on the side of the road in 30 years time replacing plug wires, a fuel pump or a fan belt in a car bought today. I think we (our cars) may be the last of that breed and I for one won't give that up for power windows, steering, air (or heat!) or speakers in the head rests.
Our cars rock, they make us smile like a cheshire cat and can frustrate us no end. My sister-in-law has a miata, and I don't hear it saying 'please drive me'. Mine does, and I don't let it down.

wkilleffer
09-02-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm 32 years old and six months, and have wanted an LBC since I spotted a Triumph Spitfire parked in front of a local restaurant when I was about five. The owner, a large man in shorts and a wifebeater shirt, said that Santa Claus might bring me one for Christmas. That didn't happen, but the idea of owning a car like a Spitfire or MGB was on my mind in some form until my wife gave me my MGB on our wedding day. We're the same age to the month.

Most of my life had a theme of interest in mechanical stuff. I used to take things apart, and managed to get a few things back together. My dad helped me learn about cars, and most of my friends in high school felt the same way that I did, even if our cars of choice might not have been the same.

Now, I have the MG and enjoy it, even if it can be frustrating at times. I also like working on old watches and would like to accumulate a few more Bulova Accutrons and railroad pocketwatches. I also enjoy target shooting with pistols and my Mosin-Nagant rifle. Guns are fun to take apart as well.

We're some of the youngest people in our local car club, but we don't care. Everyone's pretty much equal there.
Over the years, I'm starting to figure out that I don't do well in office-type jobs, and would like to get some of the things I enjoy to work for me. Trouble is I've wasted alot of time denying that. I went to prep school and college, and must have a blue collar soul.

Baz
09-02-2006, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also enjoy target shooting with pistols and my Mosin-Nagant rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the fact that I can strip a mauser 98K and HSC, slap them back together and they work as they did in the 20's, kinda like our LBC's? Very forgiving.

wkilleffer
09-02-2006, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also enjoy target shooting with pistols and my Mosin-Nagant rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the fact that I can strip a mauser 98K and HSC, slap them back together and they work as they did in the 20's, kinda like our LBC's? Very forgiving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Milsurp rifles are such interesting pieces of history. There's a gun show here this weekend, and if I had a little extra money, I'd buy one of the Mauser's or SMLE's that some of the vendors had for sale. They're easy to work on and very well made.

kennypinkerton
09-02-2006, 10:09 PM
33 here - 34 in October. Ditto everything said so far. I like the fact that my cars are not seen around every corner. I might even go six months or a year before I see an Alfa or even an MGB. I enjoy the fact that even though my cars are not even close to good condition, Sometimes I'll catch someone sneaking a picture of it, or kids who have never seen one pointing at it and smiling.

R6MGS
09-02-2006, 10:13 PM
I am a little past the 'younger' owners stage....But I once was...had my A since I was 14...initial interest came from my brother purchasing a 60 MGA for $75....I came up with $100 for mine. I wanted my two sons to experience the same thing I felt with my MGA....so I bought them both MGB's(hence the two 78's) although I got anxious and couldn't wait until they where 14 so I bought them when they hit 3 years old!My oldest is currently 17 and the little guy is 13...Due to insurance and parking limitation even my oldest who has a drivers lisence down doesn't get to use the B as a driver like I did with my A....But he drives it around the neighbourhood every once and awhile.....and He does get to drive my wifes MGA regularly, so I guess that makes up for it.

BTW: I don't believe in boring dull transportation.

kindofblue
09-02-2006, 10:19 PM
My 4A needs paint real bad. However, there are advantages to a rough car. I brought it to a car show and was talking with someone who had an MGB. He was curious about Triumphs and I let him sit in mine. Boy was he caught off guard and suprised. At a car show, no one lets breath on their car. Me, I don't care. Nothing will hurt too bad at this point.

A common theme with LBC owners is old stuff. I am also underage to be owning records. I have two record players, and burn CDs from records. I also have a 1940 Motorola radio, that is more a living room decoration. If it is old it is cool.

Steve_S
09-02-2006, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3The years seem to impart some depth to an otherwise inanimate object. I find real joy that something with lots of years can still do that for which it was created, in some cases better than a new one--the best sort of recycling. And I image that my Bugeye will still be making folks smile long after I'm gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said sir, well said!

R6MGS
09-02-2006, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My 4A needs paint real bad. However, there are advantages to a rough car. I brought it to a car show and was talking with someone who had an MGB. He was curious about Triumphs and I let him sit in mine. Boy was he caught off guard and suprised. At a car show, no one lets breath on their car. Me, I don't care. Nothing will hurt too bad at this point.

A common theme with LBC owners is old stuff. I am also underage to be owning records. I have two record players, and burn CDs from records. I also have a 1940 Motorola radio, that is more a living room decoration. If it is old it is cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wifes MGA is like that....She drives it everwhere, nomatter the weather...hauls anything in it(most recently a complete electric fireplace), my son drives it around....every little kid in the neighbourhood recognises that funny little white sportscar.Of all the cars we've got that one which is probably the worst overall cosmetic condition brings the most enjoyment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

sideache
09-03-2006, 01:12 AM
Well, I'm an old **** at 44 - However, we have lots of twenty somethings in the clubs in SoCal.

Edit; Seriously, you cant say fort with an A - that's funny

judow
09-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Well, I'm not of your generation but it 'warms my heart' that you all have a fondness for LBC's. My granddaughter who is only 11 as made me promise that when she learns to drive, I will teach her in Agatha. I've made that promise and then some. When I 'go to heaven' and I know I will (lol), Agatha will be hers for as long as she wants.

Not only is Agatha a proud member of our family, but we now have acquired Onslow, a 96 XJS Jaguar, though while a young-un will surely be a classic in the near future.

Kudos to you all for truly understanding the mystique of the LBC's!

(Good thing hubby likes vintage and not trophies. tee,hee)

P.S. Agatha is a driver and as often as I can. Very often in the Land of Enchantment!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

P.S. Basil, when can we get a female icon driving her LBC???

kindofblue
09-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Case in point - This morning I was out with Old Gold, and pulled up next to an SUV to make a left turn. The 13ish girl in the backseat was craning her head and smiling down at me, and pointing at the car. Right behind the SUV was a Miata with the top down......

Howard_The_Duck
09-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Well I know there are others active on this board younger than I, but so far in this post I'm the youngest at 23.

Mom and Dad really got my fires going about cars in general ever since I was a toddler. Mom used to strap me into the MGA when I was 2-3 years old, and it was something that stuck with me until now. Even though dad's not much of the Brit-Car type, I've accquired a number of B's, and mom still has her A and a couple of Midgets.

You can't stop us young LBCNuts. You can only hope to contain us! LOL

jlaird
09-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Got to step in here as the elder statesmen maybe at 67. Durn fine print in the Moss catalog.

I just like the sound of a finely tuned A 40 with a pair of SUs to make it sing. hehe.

Of course is fun to suck american iron into corners as well.

No really, it is the grin you get when out for a ride with your best girl, either seat is fine with me. I do share the driveing, she would fight for her turn otherwise.

R6MGS
09-03-2006, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Got to step in here as the elder statesmen maybe at 67. Durn fine print in the Moss catalog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am 50 and that moss fine print gets me everytime...Especially after the pages get greasy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Baz
09-04-2006, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No really, it is the grin you get when out for a ride with your best girl

[/ QUOTE ]

You have more than one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

jlaird
09-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Yea, wife, daughter, granddaughters. LOL. Got ya. Taught my son and daughter both to drive on a Bugeye. Granddaughter, the one driveing would not know what to do with a stick.

anthony7777
09-04-2006, 08:12 AM
you guys telling me theres print on them pages? then my birth certificate is correct-54. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

AngliaGT
09-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Can't believe I'm 50!
Seems like only yesterday that used TR6's went for$1000,
& Healeys weren't much more.
I'm glad to see that the "younger people" are into LBC's.
I let my Granddaughter get behind the wheel of my TR6 - she was having fun!(19 Months old).Yes,we take her picture.
We need to get the teenagers interested.

- Doug

jayhawk
09-05-2006, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

We need to get the teenagers interested.

- Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

I get a kick out of going to our local small shopping center. It's right at the center of our "village" between my sorta middle class area and a very posh old established country club type area. The local coffee joint is next to the ice cream joint where kids hang. They get dropped off in Jags, two seat Mercedes, Beemers, Porsche mini vans. Some folks give nary a glance but for the most part, my crude little old Tr is a hit with the kids and many of their parents. The fact that mine is hardly a show car doesn't seem to matter.
Once in a while one of the kids is really interested and I think he might be the future owner.

sparkydave
09-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Just turned 32 yesterday, and I got the LBC bug when I got to ride in a 'B-GT when I was about 10. I'm surprised how many teenagers are attracted to it when I drive it around, and not to laugh or poke fun at it. Mostly I get remarks like "Wow, look at that car" and "Cool car! What is it?".

lesingepsycho
09-05-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm 27.
Been working on'em since well before I could drive. (I used to sit in "the back" of my Mom's Midget between the rear wheel wells and hang on to the roll bar before seat belt days)
Dad told me when I was 16 he wouldn't give me a car but if I built one of the spare Midgets, it was mine.
That's the one I still have today.

JACK

Nunyas
09-05-2006, 12:28 PM
34 here. I picked up my B partly out of nostalgia, and partly out of necessity. My parents had a B when I was in grade school. So, owning a B now brings back some memories of those 'old days'. Mostly though, I'd have to go with the overall affordability of the car when compared to other "popular" classic cars, and the generally lower numbers of LBCs on the roads. One of these days, I'd like to start adding more LBCs to my ownership. Mostly older stuff.

Of course, the current Lotus Elise is on my list of cars of want to get.